Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:45 am 
Viridis

I really like how this looks. Exquisite technique.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:42 pm 
Crudus

UPDATE:
Here's the next step on Euryale: hair mostly done plus snakeskin pattern started. You can see how I started out sketching the stripes with Reikland Fleshshade, then added in Agrax Earthshade before adding the black stripes.

But I'm not sure how well it works and would love some feedback about it... Are the black stripes too thick? Too stark? Should I NOT try to follow the contours of the individual scales with them?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:13 pm 
Crudus

I know this place has gotten more than a little sleepy, but here's a long-overdue update. (I've been working nights on a second job this summer, which has absolutely wrecked my hobby time.) I set aside a few hours the past couple days to assemble some models and swing the brush a bit.

So, here's some more Nero...

A bit more highlighting plus lots more washes. Might try to create more transition area between brown and black, but at this point I'm pretty happy. Still need to finish hooves, horns and nosering, then tackle the base. (If I'm lucky I might be able to knock it out this weekend still.)

Thanks for looking. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:43 pm 
Crudus

I went ahead and finished this bad boy tonight....

And here he is facing off with Acerbus...

Plus the whole team together...

Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:21 am 
Noxius

A paintjob that good deserves an extra [favor] on the vitality track~

New rule, all painted models gain a [favor] in the first vitality box, as the crowd laments scratching such beautiful work (will also help motivate painting heh)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:39 pm 
Crudus

nakedpanda wrote:
A paintjob that good deserves an extra [favor] on the vitality track~

New rule, all painted models gain a [favor] in the first vitality box, as the crowd laments scratching such beautiful work (will also help motivate painting heh)

Ha - I like that rule! (And thanks for the feedback).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:29 pm 
Crudus

UPDATE: Otho finished...

Thanks for looking - as always, any feedback is appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:12 pm 
Crudus

As a bonus update, here are some shots of our latest Arena Rex game (first one 100% painted!):
Set-up: Lupa, Micon, Nero, and Otho on my end, and Atrox, Marcus Furius, Gaius Pallidus, Hermes, and Antaeus on Gomez Jr.'s side.

The action after a couple rounds of movement and feinting: Atrox has dragged Micon into the backfield, Lupa and Marcus are facing off doing almost nothing, while Otho and Nero have charged forward to engage Antaeus.

Here Antaeus has just used his Hip Toss ability to flip spots with Otho and put him on the very edge of the pit (bad planning on my part). The good news is, Nero pushed Antaeus the next round and then followed up so his base was overlapping both his and Otho's - which allowed me to place Otho on the other side of Nero (who can't be pushed, as he's a Titan, making him safer there) and keep him from insta-death.

Atrox is just about to score two Drags from his damage tree here, allowing him to move to the left side of the pit and pull Micon in. That was the first defeat of the match, and happened before Micon could do much of anything.

Here Nero has just gone Wild during a Clear Turn - and unfortunately he ended up attacking his own teammate Otho rather than the two enemies who were also valid targets (dang dice!). Thankfully he only did a couple damage and ended up moving the action a little further from the pit.

And this is the end-stage of the match: Nero puts Atrox out of his misery, Hermes dispatches Otho, leaving Nero vs. Hermes for the Last Men Standing rules. Nero had his whole second card to put into play still and Hermes's Aegis of Fame ability (which makes his opponent have to burn a Favor dice every turn just to attack him) goes out the window when he's LMS, so the end result was almost inevitable but it was still an enjoyable game (as always). I think the way the game is balanced to almost always end up with 1 vs. 1 LMS is fairly genius - we've never had more than a single fighter alive at the end of a match, and things tend to come down to the action being one attack away from a victory for one side or the other.

Also, quick question: how does everyone play Beasts as LMS? We couldn't decide what seemed most appropriate when Nero was my last fighter... Does he ONLY go Wild as every turn is a Clear Turn (eliminating the chance to do any power attacks)? Does he go Wild AND attack as normal (giving him almost double the hitting power of non-beasts)?

In other news, I also got some WIP shots from this AM:
Aemilia - not who I was planning on starting next, but I got the tiger pelt idea and wanted to give it a shot ASAP.

And Euryale - who I intended to start on, but after a couple false starts on her snakeskin pattern had paint too thick in a few places... D'oh! So into the Simple Green she went. I'll soak her until tomorrow, then scrub and wash and re-primer her and start over.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:47 am 
Viridis

Wow, that is such a cool looking battle in those pictures. Fantastic! And Snapjaw as Atrox still gives me very warm fuzzies, looks so great.

And yeah, the activity has really drained away from this forum over the last little while. Ah well, maybe it will pick up again some day. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:46 pm 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
Wow, that is such a cool looking battle in those pictures. Fantastic! And Snapjaw as Atrox still gives me very warm fuzzies, looks so great.

And yeah, the activity has really drained away from this forum over the last little while. Ah well, maybe it will pick up again some day. :)

Thanks for the response, Wishing! The game was fun, and 100% painted really makes a difference in the atmosphere of it. I also really love Snappy as Atrox - Drag fits perfectly with a croc, IMO, plus he was the model that really pushed me to transform my painting so I'm extra fond of him.

Also, if anyone has an answer to this, it's probably you...
Quote:
quick question: how does everyone play Beasts as LMS? We couldn't decide what seemed most appropriate when Nero was my last fighter... Does he ONLY go Wild as every turn is a Clear Turn (eliminating the chance to do any power attacks)? Does he go Wild AND attack as normal (giving him almost double the hitting power of non-beasts)?

Thoughts?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next