Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1417 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:40 pm 
Crudus

UPDATE:

Things have been slow going in Gomezland... Every summer is sort of similar - I make a big list of house and yard projects that I need to work on while I have the time off, and my hobby time suffers. This year is no exception. I've got some excellent structural elements around my house to show off, but little in terms of miniatures. That said, I HAVE done a little bit of work on my AR stuff...

I repainted Otho's shield. I found a really great example of a 54mm gladiator with a turquoise shield and wanted to emulate it for Otho. This is just the first layer - I'll build up to a much lighter color eventually. You can also see one of the places where I scraped away a mold line. There were a couple on his shield also - not sure how I missed them originally, but I got them now.

Also got inspired and started in on Euryale. Her pillar is done (though I'll definitely have to touch it up later after working on her snake-body), but that's about it. I have been collecting references and decided to try and work with this one...

I decided to see if I could sort of sketch in some colors to match that reference. Not perfect, but I think some orange and flesh colored washes on her scales can bring out a little of the above vibrancy. I've always been intimidated by this model - the snake body just screams for some cool pattern that I've never been confident I can do justice to... After starting a bit, I think I need to just keep moving forward and it'll take care of itself.

As ever, your thoughts, critique, feedback, etc. are all welcome. Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:26 am 
Viridis

Excellent and exciting! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:27 pm 
Crudus

Sooooooo, these arrived today...

I had to take advantage of RRG's GenCon sale and grabbed Hroka and Caho-Ta (I already had Hroka on foot), Cato and Ladon, and the four Greeks I like. Wanted to add Ywain and Dextarius (all three models) but was already above the arbitrary $$$ limit I set for myself, so they'll have to wait a while yet. Pretty impressed that I ordered Thursday late and got them this afternoon. I'm not too far from Austin, TX, which is their homebase, but still - yay USPS!

Super excited to bust them open and get them built, BUT I am exercising a bit of discipline and only allowing myself a one-to-one exchange: I finish painting one of my already built models and then I can open one of the new packages. We will see exactly how long I can stick to this plan, but for now I'm good.

I often have a bit of painting ADD, so instead of focusing on Otho or Euryale like a good boy, I switched over to Lupa.

I've got to clean up her face a bit and maybe add a few higher highlights to her knee and forehead, but her skin is pretty close to done. I'm still struggling with brown skin - I find it ridiculously difficult to get a good highlight without those parts looking like a different skin color. I might try washing back down with some brown and black to see if I can even things out a bit.

I'll be doing her "wolf" like a coyote or jackal pelt, which is probably next, then it should be all downhill from there. Hoping I can get her wrapped up by the end of this week.

Any feedback, comments, questions, etc. are appreciated. Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:44 am 
Crudus

Gomez wrote:
Sooooooo, these arrived today...

I had to take advantage of RRG's GenCon sale and grabbed Hroka and Caho-Ta (I already had Hroka on foot), Cato and Ladon, and the four Greeks I like. Wanted to add Ywain and Dextarius (all three models) but was already above the arbitrary $$$ limit I set for myself, so they'll have to wait a while yet. Pretty impressed that I ordered Thursday late and got them this afternoon. I'm not too far from Austin, TX, which is their homebase, but still - yay USPS!

Super excited to bust them open and get them built, BUT I am exercising a bit of discipline and only allowing myself a one-to-one exchange: I finish painting one of my already built models and then I can open one of the new packages. We will see exactly how long I can stick to this plan, but for now I'm good.

I often have a bit of painting ADD, so instead of focusing on Otho or Euryale like a good boy, I switched over to Lupa.

I've got to clean up her face a bit and maybe add a few higher highlights to her knee and forehead, but her skin is pretty close to done. I'm still struggling with brown skin - I find it ridiculously difficult to get a good highlight without those parts looking like a different skin color. I might try washing back down with some brown and black to see if I can even things out a bit.

I'll be doing her "wolf" like a coyote or jackal pelt, which is probably next, then it should be all downhill from there. Hoping I can get her wrapped up by the end of this week.

Any feedback, comments, questions, etc. are appreciated. Thanks for looking!

very cool! i finished assembly on Testo last night!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:46 pm 
Crudus

Thanks for the feedback, cap. I appreciate the kind words. (And start painting your Telesto and get it posted out there so we can see it!)

Anyway, I went back in and knocked down the highlights on her right leg a bit and tidied up her forehead...

And then, because I can't ever just let things be, I changed the color of her... Shirt? Sports bra?

I like this effect a lot more than the teal. Plus now she echoes the red/yellow combo that I used for some of the fabric and tassels on Hermes and Micon.

Still hoping to get her done this week. *fingers crossed*

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:37 pm 
Crudus

I am getting ready to experiment with taking photos of my models but my wife lisa is the painter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:42 pm 
Crudus

UPDATE:
Just the pelt she is wearing. Tried to model it after a coyote's coloration - I think I at least mostly succeeded.

It's not shown in these pictures, but I also already started in on the all her leather - belts, straps, leg wraps, etc. I sort of accidentally stumbled on a recipe I like a lot while working on Otho: a warm midtone brown, washed with Reikland Fleshshade, then a mix of Druchii Purple and Agrax Earthshade, then repeat the original brown, highlighting by adding sequentially more off-white. As I go I also intermittently go back in with those washes, which creates a cool, organic layering. It turned out really cool previously, so I'm interested to see if I can match it here.

Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:27 am 
Viridis

What a great looking pelt! Seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:04 am 
Crudus

The pelt looks great!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:11 pm 
Crudus

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Reference photos went a long way toward helping me. Lots of little details I wouldn't have added if not for that (white around the eyes and lips and the darker stripe down the middle, for example).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1417 Next