Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:45 pm 
Noxius

Getting ready to start a regular series and I have to say that the Legio XIII is a bit underwhelming, particularly against the Zephyri.

My main issue that I'm trying to wrap my head around is that the Zephyri can all stop your damage tree pretty much whenever they take 2-3 points of damage and hit a favor spot in their track. Then they can just come back and smack you in the face full bore.

At that point its just a matter of math. One side can't do full damage to the other, the results continue to be the same. Zephyri end up grinding down the Legio.

I've seen netters work or any abilities that can stop them from being able to move, but Legio doesn't have that other than Luca, and she can't use her reaction to stop that move out since it happens in Legio player's turn so her reaction can't stop them.

I'm looking for advice on how Legio is supposed to fight against this other than hoping the Zephyri player has cold dice and can't generate successes while the Legio player has hot dice since they are basically always being shorted out after 2 successes while the Zephyri player just disengages freely every time.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:22 am 
Viridis

I would say that the first thing to make sure is that you are playing the rules correctly. You describe that the Zephyri only take 2-3 damage before you hit a favor box and then they disengage. They don't actually get to disengage before the attack has been fully resolved and all the damage applied, so the solution to the low damage, I would say, is to simply do more like 7-8 damage with your attack instead of 2-3. As long as you roll the damage, you get to inflict it. You can also push them into pillars or pits.

The only thing disengage does defensively is prevent you from making a second attack against them. I would say its strength is more in positioning. And remember that they have to give up favor points to use it.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:01 pm 
Crudus

I concur with Wishing, and also would add that strategic placement of Gaius, combined with making sure you are constantly displacing your models around to protect models that are exhausted and threaten with fresh fighters.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:52 pm 
Noxius

Yeah we've been going back and forth on the rule. There is some argument that the tree stating if you ever leave the melee space of your opponent that you immediately stop applying damage. That was where that came from.

All of us playing are completely new.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:12 am 
Viridis

The important thing is that you can find a solution that helps with your frustration. Learning the details of the ruleset is something that will come over time, and running into situations like this is exactly how you learn. But it's not important to play the rules correctly simply for the sake of being correct. The important thing is to have fun.

To continue the conversation, if you want to :), you are exactly right when you state "if you ever leave the melee space of your opponent, you immediately stop applying damage". The key is that only the attacker has the option of moving stuff around during the pre-damage stage of the attack.

The wrong way to resolve an attack with a result of [push] [push] [reposition] [3dmg] [2dmg] [push] is to go: Push, inflict 1 damage, push, inflict 1 damage, reposition, inflict 1 damage, inflict 3 damage, inflict 2 damage, push, inflict 1 damage. Not correct.

The correct way to resolve an attack with a result of [push] [push] [reposition] [3dmg] [2dmg] [push] is to go: Push, push, reposition, push, inflict 9 damage.

And the if the attacker chooses to move out of engagement range with their [reposition] result, then they break off combat, and end up only inflicting 3 damage. Because then the results that come after the reposition are lost. But that is the attacker's decision - not the defender's.

(The attacker would mainly choose to do that because breaking off combat with a reposition allows them to recover one fatigue.)