Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: House rule ideas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:18 pm 
Noxius

"Displaced when moved on/through by an active model, and will be displaced by the active model at the end of their movement."

Is how we worded it to be picked up and brought along. Even means you can 'take' it from other models if they have it in your move path, since the javelin base we use is 30mm and engagement ranges are 25mm.

If you guys can think of a simple/easy los rule i would love to incorporate it in our games!

We played a game of gemini, where the platforms had a javelin in the middle of each. It ended with desperate and stressful throwers and runners going back and forth.

The biggest advantage to these is that it broke up our 'tank' formations a smidge. Hermes/otho/viatrix or urkek/khepros/zhara moving in a blob became more spread out as they sought to control the javelins as well.

Hard to describe but my group likes them

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 pm 
Noxius

perhaps

"Removed from play when moved on/through by an active model, and will be displaced by the active model at the end of their movement"

would work better?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:42 pm 
Viridis

Oh yeah, it was there, I just missed it. :)

If I was wording it, I think I would just use an easier to read sentence structure. "Javelins can be moved through by other models. If a model moves through a javelin during a move action, the moving model may displace that javelin at the end of the move." Or something like that. But as long as you know what it means, that's what matters.

For LOS, how about something simple but fun, like "The path of the javelin is considered to run from the center of the throwing model's base to the center of the target's base. If this path passes through any other models on the way to the target, roll a dice for each model in sequence. On a 4+, it hits that model instead of the target."

For hazards, you could distinguish between blocking or obscuring. A blocking hazard would be like a big boulder, that blocks LOS completely. An obscuring hazard would like like a fence or something - maybe give a 4+ chance that the javelin hits the fence instead of the target, if the target is behind it.

Just brainstorming...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:09 am 
Viridis

I was just re-reading this thread and thinking about the javelins. For some reason, a javelin seems like a slightly too feeble weapon for this game, since it is thin and light. I was thinking of something more heavy metal, like a throwing hammer. Also an olympic throwing discipline like a javelin, but a ball and chain instead. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:59 am 
Noxius

Honestly any ranged attacks that do not take away from the fray would be nice.

Perhaps ranged attacks may not have favour added to the attack/counter attack?

Helps keep the 'oomf' in melee

Just to have that feeling of 'completion' with the theme of Gladiators and their varied tools of the trade.

There is a class of models in this game that we (here at least) do not see on table very often, such as Iason, that would be great to have a role expansion with javelins/short bows/slings/discus/etc