Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: House rule ideas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:34 am 
Viridis

I posted about pits in another thread, which would be a clear example of a house rule for an alternative form of hazard (a trapping hazard?) compared to the printed rules we have.

My friend and I came up with another couple of rule amendments too that I feel might add some interest to our games. Haven't tried them yet, but hopefully will soon. Here are the three things we have come up with so far in case anyone is interested.

Last Man Standing (LMS) Turn Modification

Instead of the normal rules for LMS turns, resolve it as follows.
1. Clear fatigue based on nearby enemies
For each enemy model that the LMS is within one inch of, remove one fatigue from the LMS.
2. Clear normal fatigue
If the LMS still has fatigue, remove one fatigue. The LMS may not activate this turn.
3. Clear turn actions
You may use tactics and/or take wild attacks. (Mount or dismount is not relevant since LMS.)
4. Activate model
The LMS may activate if it did not remove fatigue in step 2.

Shallow Pits

If a model comes into contact with a shallow pit, it falls in.
Remove the fallen model from the table and put it to the side. The model is automatically exhausted by the fall and takes 3 damage.
A model in a pit can neither be attacked by or attack any models not in the pit. A model in a pit cannot react except to Counterattack. While in the pit, the model still has to track and remove fatigue, but can take no actions other than a Climb action or an Attack action.
A Climb action costs two fatigue and allows the model to be removed from the pit and placed back in the arena anywhere within one inch of the pit’s edge.
An Attack action taken by a model in a pit can only target other models that are in the same pit. All models in the pit are considered to be in base contact at all times and cannot move in any way during the resolution of the attack.
If a model in a pit becomes LMS, they are defeated.

Titan Pushes

Instead of titans being completely immune to all pushes, use the following rules.
Titans cannot be pushed by models with a smaller base size than their own. Against models with an equal or larger base size, titans resist the first push of any attack. All titans are Stoic (do not gain fatigue when pushed into a hazard).

Post subject: Re: House rule ideas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:38 pm 
Noxius

The rule I use for titan pushes is that they resist 1 push as normal from smaller bases and they can only be pushed one time by an entire attack. So if the opponent resolves 3 pushes with a smaller based character against your titan, you'd ignore the first push, resolve the second push, and ignore the final push. (Of course taking all damage as usual).

I just find that if your opponent has a team entirely of titans (as my friends most often do because they look really cool) there's little you can do against them because pushing is a huge part of this game and it's frustrating to have them ignore all of it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:52 pm 
Viridis

Yeah, that's exactly the issue. I really like the way you think about only letting them get affected by one push per attack. I just wanted to open it up only a little bit - letting them get pushed by other large models at least - but it does suck that a cohort with just ludus models cannot push any titan at all, and my version doesn't help with that, and yours does.

So I might just take your version instead. Although I would still say that all titans are automatically Stoic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:14 pm 
Noxius

Been toying around with these rules, and have been enjoying them so far.

Started by placing one in the center of the field, sometimes one already attached to each cohort (in their deployment area).

Has been a hoot throwing it back and forth.

Any thoughts are beyond appreciated!

========================

~Javelin "Terrain" 30mm base~

Base contact enables special attack: Throw.

Increases Fatigue level by 1.

Range = Mov of active model.
Atk = 3

|
/ \
Reposition Favour

Whichever model takes damage in the attack, or if no damage is dealt, then the defender displaces the javelin after damage is applied.

Can only be used by "Gladiators"

Displaced when moved on/through by an active model, and will be displaced by the active model at the end of their movement.

Special reaction
Trigger: Targetted by a "Throw" attack
Hamartia: Increase Fatigue to cause the Javelin to automatically miss. Displace the Javelin as normal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:28 pm 
Viridis

That really sounds like a lot of fun! I would imagine having an impressive hazard in the middle of the arena, like a statue or a pyre, and then 3-4 javelins stuck in the ground around it. Daring the gladiators to come in and grab one and start throwing it.

I definitely see the "model" as a base with a spear sticking out of the ground.

ATK 3 seems a little low, but I guess that is because the opponent gets no DEF dice against it, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:49 pm 
Noxius

We wanted to start low and see how it felt, and my play group is by no means experts hahaha

Definitely intended for a Def roll, and we have had odd results with a counterattack roll (catch and throw back?) hahaha

Yeah we just have a few spears from our various bits boxes stuck in to 30mm bases. Feels good to move the javelin with a sound effect when 'thrown'

The main goals were to keep it as simple as possible, add a ranged attack in to the game (javelins are iconic weapons afterall), and to make more use of the entire arena.

So far it is working as intended, but we are only 7 players strong here in Seattle, WA.

Any input and modification would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm 
Viridis

I think you guys know best since you are the ones using the rules! But if you allow the DEF roll, why not set the dice up a bit? Maybe ATK minus one? I really like the idea of having the range of the javelin be the MOV of the thrower. Feels right.

Of course, with a ranged attack you need line of sight rules. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 pm 
Noxius

Atk-1 sounds like a great idea, will try it next time!

Tried los rules and it just did not really feel necessary, with rare occasion that it seemed useful. As such we just play it without los for now

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:24 am 
Crudus

I really like the Javelin idea, especially as a special scenario style item. It allows the incorporation of ranged attacks, while still keeping them limited and unique in a game designed solely for melee.

I think an attack -1 dice roll sounds about right. Especially since it has it's own damage tree, which is more limited than a normal melee attack would be. (As is should be)

LoS would come into play at some point. At the very least in the sense that a model on a larger base should block the ability to throw the javelin at a smaller base hiding behind, so long as a particular percentage (50-75% IMO) of the base is obscured.

Next time I play, I will definitely give these rules a shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:34 pm 
Viridis

Yeah, I agree that not being able to use other gladiators as human shields, because the javelins pass through everything, would be kinda a shame. :)

Can you pick up a javelin and walk around with it? Like saying that if you start a move action in base contact with a javelin, then you can place the javelin next to you after you finish the move?