Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:33 am 
Viridis

Another mount, another magnetizing project. Now I just have Nero left.

With Dex and Ywain, I wanted to follow the same principle as with Hroka, so one magnet connection in the saddle and one magnet connection where the arm grabs the mane/reins. It worked out and is really solid. I just need to sculpt some kind of forearm protection for Ywain to hide the magnet.

It is interesting that unlike the other two cavalries I have assembled, these guys actually have a slot and tab, so Dex has a big square hole in the saddle. So Dex doesn't seem to be intended to be fielded riderless from a model perspective. Interesting or not, the whole point of magnetizing is so they can be separated. So I have/had to cut the tab off Ywain and fill in the saddle hole to make the magnets work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:26 am 
Viridis

FYI, Dave, you have been hit by the photobucket shutdown too. If you want us to see your pictures in the thread, gotta rehost and edit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:22 am 
Noxius

Thanks for the heads up. I'll get onto that over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:59 pm 
Viridis

Sweet. I finished painting Dex and Ywain. I also ordered Nero. It will be great to have them all four together. It's funny the Nero is the only two stage mount, still. Nero the Mighty.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:12 am 
Viridis

Now I've got Nero coming in the mail soon, I'm thinking about how to do the magnetizing. Which is what the original post of this thread was mainly about.

Gomez had the original idea, which was to magnetize Sep for sitting on Nero, but do a pin and hole kind of arrangement with the reins and the horns. I think that's a great idea, but I have one problem with it, which is that the reins just seem very fragile, being so thin and sticking out from the model.

I guess most of the time, the two models would be stuck together and so it wouldn't be an issue. I just can't help but worry that the reins would break somehow, especially during the process of removing Sep from Nero mid-game.

So I'm seriously pondering whether to go with the Gomez solution with reins, or the Dave solution of skipping the reins and putting the shield in his hand instead. Which I think is a great idea too.

I think the reins make the model look more dynamic and in motion, so I will try and go for a Gomez solution if possible. But I probably have to actually have the pieces in my hands before I can decide properly.

I think the most important factor is that it has to be relatively easy to pluck the rider off the beast mid-game without risk of the reins beinding or snapping. If I feel confident that this can be done, then I'll do the Gomez. Otherwise the Dave.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:54 am 
Viridis

Actually... the more I think about it, the more the reins seem like a problem. With a pin and hole system, like a lego kind of thing (just an extremely loose fit), I can see how taking the rider off would be easy - but putting the rider back on again when he climbs back on the bull seems like it could be really awkward. I would prefer to be able to do it without lifting the bull off the table, since he is in the middle of a game and stationary at the time. But lining up the reins with the horns without magnets that find each other automatically seems very very fidgety.

So the lego solution seems good for easy removal - but a problem for attaching. The magnet solution seems good for attaching - but a problem for removal, since it would put pressure on the fragile reins when pulling the rider off.

One alternative could be to replace the pewter reins with something flexible. Like chain. Then there is no risk of the reins breaking. I'm just not sure it would look as cool as the cloth reins do. It would also need to be very fine chain to not look super clunky.

But on the plus side I would only need magnets on one side. If I wrap chain around the horns, and put a magnet in in the rein-chains, then the magnet will attach to the metal chain without the need for a second magnet. It doesn't need to be a strong bond since it wouldn't be carrying any weight.

Ponder ponder. Ideas to save up for when I get the model.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:52 am 
Viridis

Ahh. Model arrived. And the reins are very intimidating.

Looking at it, I think I will try for a modified Gomez solution. I think the biggest issues are 1) the pressure placed on the arm as a whole, and 2) the reins obviously bending slightly whenever anything touches them, making them not line up with the horn slots anymore. I think I will try and use wire (paper clips) to try and overcome these issues. Firstly by pinning the extended wrist to the thigh of Sep - I'll sculpt some ribbon to hide the actual wire. Secondly to link the two forks of the reins together with wire, so they are always the right distance apart, again sculpting more ribbon over it.

We'll see if any of this works out. The Dave solution is the backup plan.

First magnet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:40 pm 
Viridis

Second magnet. You can see how time passes... before it was daylight, now the sun has set. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:06 am 
Viridis

Alright, the easy part is over - Septimus sits comfortably on Nero with two magnets in his legs. Now for the hard part, the reins.

As I wrote, I'm not very comfortable with the idea of the two strips for the reins just floating out there loose and unconnected. It seems inevitable to me that they will keep getting squeezed and bent and will eventually break, which I really don't want. I want to stabilise them. But the problem is that the whole reason for having the reins is that they look cool. If I stabilise them, but it looks stupid, then the point kinda goes away.

I will try and do something with this wire keeping the reins together, as the pictures here how. Fingers crossed that it won't look completely stupid.

I also think I have decided to put a magnet into the right horn and the right rein. It will just be too loose a fit otherwise. And if the reins are stable enough, I think it will work out ok.

It's a really cool model.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:36 am 
Viridis

To be thorough, here is where the magnets have gone in Septimus.

And the last horn magnet in Nero goes like this.

It all currently feels pretty stable. The only weak point is the point where the reins meet the hand. That could potentially bend or break some day. But right now it is sturdy enough, and I think the model will stand up to placement and removal pretty well.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next