Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Leo On Base
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:21 am 
Noxius

Anyone have advice on getting the big ol' lion securely attached to his base? I'm not a super-experienced in miniatures and the construction/modeling is my least favorite part. It seems like only having his feet connecting with the ground won't be enough to support the weight of the model, especially with so much of the weight being in the front.

I was thinking of finding a clear plastic stand to go from his chest to the base. Any advice on how to do this/whether it seems like a good idea?

Post subject: Re: Leo On Base
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:28 pm 
Crudus

I did two things, one intentionally and the other by accident...

First, I used a pin vice (see an example here) to drill a hole deep into his foot. I repeated the process through the surface of his base where I wanted his foot to be placed. Then I inserted and glued some wire (a length of small paperclip cut to a couple centimeters would work too) into his foot, then fed it through the hole and pressed it to the underside of the base and glued it there as well. This creates a nice sturdy connection point for him.

The second thing I did was a mistake that ended up working out really well: I accidentally based him on a larger base (not sure why I ended up with it, but it was in my package). This balances him much better IMO than his standard sized base.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:14 am 
Crudus

I just glued my Leo and I ended up not pinning to the base. As long as the leg that touches the base is at the edge of the far end of the base the model will balance well. I have 0 issues with mine, even on an uneven surface (I checked to see if I would need to add weight to the base).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:17 am 
Crudus

Sorry for the bit of necro here, but maybe others will benefit...
I had no issue gluing and balancing Leo using just super glue... however, now I'm noticing that he has sagged quite a bit and his front is resting on the base, which gives a much less menacing pose. I think the introduction of a pin into his leg might have helped with that. Instead, now I'm probably going to use a clear rod to prop him up.
I've noticed a couple of other models suffering from a bit of sag/lean as well. Namely, Zahra and Tiet-Khebi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:10 pm 
Viridis

Yeah, the dynamic posing of several AR models suspended in mid-air on a tiny connecting point will do that, I can imagine.

Zreef, who posted just above, later started a thread called "the Leo sag" about that exact issue you describe: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33968

I think the best thing that can be done to prevent this, that doesn't involve propping him up, is doing what Gomez (and zreef is his sag thread) describes about drilling into the leg through the base and getting some sturdy paper clip wire as far in there as possible. The resin itself is soft and will bend, so you need something hard and metallic to act as a skeleton inside the leg to keep it in position.

Of course, the easiest way is to just prop him up on a stick or a rock or something. But that won't look as nice as him being actually in a mid-air leap. :geek:

I have a Zahra myself where I haven't yet seen a problem with sagging, just with breaking. I hope she doesn't sag.