Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 639 Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:02 pm 
Viridis

Thank you, I use a lot of washing and drybrushing exactly because I like that dusty effect.

Mago is done, and the Morituri starter with him. Hooray!

Medusa is up next.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:01 pm 
Crudus

REALLY like these models - the more muted tones really suit them IMO. Also dig Ur-Kek's mask... I've not been a huge fan of his miniature, but adding that totally changes his vibe. You mentioned "grimdark" but I think it makes him more like an unfeeling executioner than anything else. Very cool. Also really like what you did with Mago - the combination of colors really looks awesome. Your speed with such an effective paintjob is enviable. Nice work!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:51 am 
Viridis

Thank you so much, I totally see what you mean about the executioner feel to the big guy. Especially with the way he is standing and holding a giant ax, now he has a mask on, there is a definite air that someone's head is about to go on the block. :!:

A couple of thoughts about the models:

I really love the fact that the models come with their own unique Arena Rex bases. It really gives a feel that this is a different type of game than other miniature games we know. It works for me.

My only issue is that since each model is a unique character with its own card, and I intend to teach the game to people who haven't played before, I would have liked to be able to write the name of each character on the back of the base. But because of the intentation on the base lips, that doesn't seem feasible. I will just have to remind people who is who if they forget. :roll:

Looking at Medusa, one thing I feel like I need to do is replace her spear haft with a metal rod. As it is in resin now, it is super wobbly and impossible to keep straight. It's like rubber. But I actually like doing things like that, so I look forward to it. Just have to find some rod of the right thickness.

The Medusa model is really tremendous I think. She has a uniquely disturbing otherworldly quality to her.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:15 am 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
My only issue is that since each model is a unique character with its own card, and I intend to teach the game to people who haven't played before, I would have liked to be able to write the name of each character on the back of the base. But because of the intentation on the base lips, that doesn't seem feasible. I will just have to remind people who is who if they forget. :roll:

But in my opinion, it is really easy to distinguish as the artworks on the card is pretty close to the reality of the miniature, don't you think?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:34 am 
Viridis

Sheijtan wrote:
But in my opinion, it is really easy to distinguish as the artworks on the card is pretty close to the reality of the miniature, don't you think?

Yes... until someone goes and puts masks on models that don't have them in the artwork. :D

To be fair, we also have that in the official models. Valen's art has blonde hair and a beard, and his model comes with the option of a fully closed helmet.

It's not that it's exactly difficult to match the model with the card - but for someone who has never played before, it could save them having to ask "which guy is this one again?" if the names were written on the bases.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:09 am 
Viridis

P.S. I'm not sure if it is obvious, but I put some blood staining on both Mago's trident head and the strip of cloth hanging down from it. I don't know if it would make sense, but I thought that maybe the cloth is there so he can use it to wipe the blood from the trident after he is done stabbing someone, the same way that knights always wipe the blood from their sword before putting it back in the scabbard. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:53 pm 
Viridis

Ack, Zahra's foot just broke in half on me (or rather it tore, so I had to cut it free). Not surprising, that is a teeny bit of resin for the whole model to balance on. I now had to drill into her heel and all the way into her leg, to insert a pin to hold her firmly in place on the base again. Now she's leaning backwards instead of forwards, but I think it's OK - it'll just look like she is just landing after a leap.

Also, WIP of Medusa. Did I mention I adore this model?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:46 am 
Crudus

Holy crap! You are workin' quick!
I love the palette you are using. Very natural and old-worldy. Keep up the great work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:19 pm 
Viridis

Thank you so much! Last night, the last thing I did before bed was to wrap a coil of green stuff around her spear, since the old spear had it and I liked it. It actually worked out better than I expected, I think.

With some paint, it now looks like this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:45 am 
Viridis

I've also started the basic sculpting work on Euryale. I'll post a picture of the current state of her later on. I'm a bit worried, as I'm not a professional sculptor and I don't know how I'm going to make something that won't look ridiculous next to Medusa. But if I can pull it off, I'll be really really happy with myself.

I'm thinking that logic number one says that I won't be able to sculpt a realistic human face. That is one of the hardest things to do. But I could probably make a monstrous one. The basic body shape of the torso and snake tail is looking good to me so far.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 639 Next