Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:37 pm 
Noxius

I'm looking for ideas to magnetize Nero and Sereqet.

Has anyone tried it?
Looking for ways to hide the magnets and what to do about those reins with Nero.

Last edited by AllDeadDave on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:15 pm 
Crudus

Why, yes! I have tried this!

Here is where I show exactly how I did it. The trick would be finding some tiny rare earth magnets near you (I got mine at Hobbytown, which might just have a local store near you if you're in the States) and being just a little bit handy with greenstuff. The job I did isn't perfect, but I can hold Nero upside down while Septimus is on without him falling off, which is pretty much what I hoped for. There's also a bit about connecting his reins to Nero's horns.

Check it out, then let me know what follow up questions you might have. I can also take some more photos of what they look like post-greenstuffing if you want.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:35 pm 
Noxius

Thanks for that.

I'm in Australia, but if the LGS doesn't have any, then I can get locally online easy enough (or I may have a couple spare from WM/H days). The solution for the reins is spot on, I'll certainly follow that.
Please do post more photos. Would love to see how that looks post greenstuff, and painted up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:29 am 
Crudus

AllDeadDave wrote:
Thanks for that.

I'm in Australia, but if the LGS doesn't have any, then I can get locally online easy enough (or I may have a couple spare from WM/H days). The solution for the reins is spot on, I'll certainly follow that.
Please do post more photos. Would love to see how that looks post greenstuff, and painted up.

Glad I could give you some ideas. A couple things though:

1. I actually embedded the magnets too far forward on Nero's back - in that first picture, you can see the grooves where Septimus's bent knees should have lined up, but I tried lining him up by "feel" (for lack of a better term) and didn't realize he should've been just a bit further back.

2. Nero is still shamefully unpainted. But here you can see how the greenstuffed reins fit into the drilled horns...

And here you can just barely make out one of the magnets in Nero's back, with a thin skim of greenstuff over the top plus a coat of primer...

I think if I was doing it today, I'd definitely go for bigger magnets (I was worried about how visible they'd be, but that was no big deal) and might try to just do one under Septimus's crotch and matched to one in the middle of Nero's mane - that might give a slightly sturdier hold.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:35 am 
Noxius

No discernible loss of grip with the paint and greenstuff over the magnets?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:30 am 
Crudus

AllDeadDave wrote:
No discernible loss of grip with the paint and greenstuff over the magnets?

Not that I can see. Might change after putting a couple more coats of paint over the everything else, but I imagine it'll be OK.

If you're concerned about that, just go for slightly larger magnets. Mine were 1.6 mm diameter and I could've gone quite a bit bigger still.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:10 pm 
Noxius

Magnets have finally arrived, and I am beginning construction. Sereqet was easy enough, although I may need to re-sculpt the point of the ridge to hide the magnet better. I'm going to try something different with Nero, and have just put on the normal horns. I'll use Septimus' shield to cover his riding hand and see how that goes. Hopefully it shouldn't look too precarious. Will post pics later in week when there is progress.

(Edit: was actually able to do more than I thought, so here are some WIP shots. Magnet sits more flushed than it appears in photo.)

Next up gap filling.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:32 pm 
Crudus

Looks great! I think removing the reins and covering Septimus's hand with the shield works well - makes it seem like he's right on the verge of getting thrown off at any second, but still laying about him with his spear as much as possible until then. Very cool.

What size magnets did you use?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:39 pm 
Noxius

3mm x 2mm magnets. I've since followed your advice and placed a thin coat of greenstuff over them, both to help hide the magnet and to protect the paint job. No loss of grip. Currently painting up Nero, hopefully I should have completed pictures by the end of this week, beginning of next.
Sereqet is being a little more challenging. Not in terms of magnetizing, but in terms of just staying on the base. It's legs sprawl over both sides of the base, not giving it much grip. I might just end up pinning it's central thorax from below. Not the prettiest solution, but it shouldn't be too noticeable and will give it much more stability.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:10 pm 
Crudus

I'm a little worried about this with the scorpion, as well. I already snapped one leg (which I miraculously found), so I'm leery of the fact that all the little toes poke out around the base. The feet/legs are pretty small, too, so I'm not confident in a pin doing the trick.
Your central post idea may be the way I go, as well.