Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 517 Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:01 am 
Noxius

The progress is great! Urbicus looks fantastic, and I'll admit to stealing spiralingcadaver's paint scheme for the fatigue tokens as well - Though I painted some with a gold theta, some with a silver theta, and some with a copper theta, so that way if up to three people are using my models, we can keep track of which cohorts fatigue is which. Looking forward to seeing more!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:58 pm 
Crudus

halon wrote:
The progress is great! Urbicus looks fantastic, and I'll admit to stealing spiralingcadaver's paint scheme for the fatigue tokens as well - Though I painted some with a gold theta, some with a silver theta, and some with a copper theta, so that way if up to three people are using my models, we can keep track of which cohorts fatigue is which. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks for the feedback, and wow, that's a fantastic idea with the three-color thetas. That's not something I would've ever thought about ahead of time but it's really the perfect solution to that potential problem.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:37 pm 
Crudus

UPDATE:

My arena is close enough to being done that I figured I'd post it...

Still need to finish up the sidewalls of the pits, hit that tiny little skull you see in the foreground pit with a little drybrushing, and touch up the rocks in the sand, but other than that I think she's about where I want her.

Plus finished close ups of the mantraps I showed earlier.
Went with blood (GW's Blood for the Blood God is pretty awesome BTW) on one to see how I like it - and I DO like it, but I'm still undecided if I want both to be blood-spattered...

The rest of the terrain may take a while. The pillars in particular are vexing me - not liking what my first attempts look like to be totally honest, so I'm at a little bit of a stand-still. Trying something new this week, so hopefully you see some more pieces soon. Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:34 pm 
Crudus

UPDATE:

Micon is done. Took me a LOT more time than I expected him to, but overall I'm really pleased with how he turned out. I adjusted how I tackled the armor from last time, and third time's the charm with his skin - that was far and away the hardest part of the big lug.

And here he is with his homeboy Urbicus...

Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:56 pm 
Crudus

Really nice. I hope my Micon turns out just half as good and it would make me proud.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:45 pm 
Crudus

UPDATE:

It's been awhile since I finished anything on this project (end of semester in my classroom plus holiday season tends to do that), but I've finally finished the pillared covers for my arena's pits.

Here's the overview...

And here are some close-ups...

And naturally an action shot...

They hardly look painted in these shots, but getting the right color combos to drybrush onto these pillars was actually quite a challenge. I wanted something that looked like real stone/marble, something that wouldn't be distracting in the background, and something that would be relatively easy to finish. After some trial and error, this is what I ended up with and I'm reasonably happy with them.

Now I'm hoping to get Noxious done sometime this week and then start on Leo - I'll try to get some more WIP photos posted as I go.

As always, questions, critique, and general feedback are all appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:36 am 
Crudus

Looks really nice :).
Well done, I like it. Looking forward to your other gladiators to come :).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:33 am 
Crudus

Sheijtan wrote:
Looks really nice :).
Well done, I like it. Looking forward to your other gladiators to come :).

Thanks! TBH after an initial burst of painting momentum, I've slowed way down - at least partly because I'm not very confident I can do justice to all these awesome miniatures. I think I need to just figure out a way to adjust my internal critic a little bit, because I'm dying to get a game in with a 100% painted set - minis, arena, terrain, etc. That'll be my New Year's resolution, I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:59 am 
Crudus

Already had a small tournament with my crew being painted (well, partly), but now the first four gladiators are finished and the next set of 6 is already on the table. Color looks absolutely amazing on them and that's me not having that many painting skills :).
But I understand the critic in you wanting to do the figures justice :). I have one myself, but it's a little one as I really enjoy the game and its miniatures.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:48 am 
Crudus

UPDATE:

Noxius is done. This is the guy that made me jump in on Arena Rex in the first place - the art, the background, the sculpt, everything just worked so well. I always love a good underdog story and the condemned slave that somehow keeps on fighting in the arena just strikes a chord with me.

A little bit of an art shot...

And Noxius, Micon, and Urbicus posing in front of my newest arena hazards.
I'm not sure exactly what they are supposed to be beyond pieces of PP's "Grind" game, but for my purposes they can be upright spiky pillars or horizontal rollers of doom. Wasn't sure how the verdigris would turn out but I'm pretty satisfied with it.

At various stages in the painting queue are Hermes, Marcus Furius, and Leo.

As always, feedback, questions, critique, etc. all appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 517 Next