Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:00 pm 
Noxius

So, starting this off with Urbicus, who was always one of my favorites during the play test- I thought I'd give my set a bit of a stylized look, instead of trying to replicate the studio jobs. (Notes)

Also, the first of my fatigue/exhaustion markers:

(Thinking I'll be regretting only getting a small set of minis...)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:30 pm 
Noxius

That looks really nice! I'm just starting to get mine assembled and primed, hopefully they turn out as well as yours did!

I especially like your scheme on the fatigue/exhaustion marker. Is the other side simply black? I was trying to figure out if/how I should paint them and that gives me some ideas!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:39 am 
Crudus

Really nice!
I also really like the fatigue marker and the metal coloring on the plating of the arm!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:17 am 
Crudus

I agree with the other comments - very, very nice. I'll be shamelessly stealing the black/gold combo from the fatigue counter, and while I won't be mimicking it (at least on my Urbicus), the verdigris is well executed also.

Interested in seeing what you do with your other AR minis (and absolutely jealous of your painting productivity).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:52 am 
Noxius

VERY nice. exspecially the metal! can you do a quick guide for that (brass?)?
Have you tried weathering pigments? i would consider using them on this piece as well. they are dry, just use them on the leg and lower part of the shield, they do wonders! you can do washes too. they give your miniature a deeper surfacetexture. Hairspray can do that also for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VATj9lBKHfM

have you already used a surfacecoat?(cant see that on pictures) Shiny surfacecoat can be applied on the lightpoint of your metal only, looks great (it buffs the natural lightreflexes).

2nd: Have you ever tried oilpaints? The change of posibilities is mindbreaking: you can do impressive colorblendings and the paint takes days to dry (you can rework them without using another layer of paint).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:00 pm 
Noxius

Thanks, everyone!

RedSquadronK, the other side's just black. Since they're going on a gaming table, I'm expecting they'll get scuffed over time (even with protection) so I didn't want anything that'd be frustrating to re-paint every so often.

basuh, yep, the verdegris isn't all that tricky, so I'll be able to put something together. I've only started doing tutorials, though, so I'm not sure about when I'll get the chance to photograph that up.

I have a weathering pigment I've been meaning to work with, but haven't tried it yet, thanks for the link- that might be enough to kick my ass into finally working with it.

cool tip on surfacecoat, I'll need to check that out.

On oil painting, I think that would drive me absolutely nuts: I already spend so much time revising stuff that I'm not sure what I'd do if I could actually manipulate colors that much... I may eventually make that plunge, but not for a while ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:47 pm 
Noxius

Lupa, with notes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:54 am 
Noxius

I've been following your Malifaux painting thread for a while and must say you are pulling off some wonderful painting with this line of mini's too....congrats.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:22 pm 
Crudus

Really like the wolf pelt - nicely done. And I'm not sure I would've tried the abstract basing you did, but I think it ended up pretty cool. Definitely more "Art" than "Game" IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:27 pm 
Noxius

Hi, thanks! Been a while since I posted... life getting in the way, and all that noise.

Hermes (with notes)