Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:00 pm 
Noxius

I started collecting and gaming many years ago with 2nd edition 40k with my favourite ever codex - Angels of Death. Since then, I've run both a Dark Angel and Blood Angel army in every edition since. I've also dabbled in Grey Knights, SOB's, Imperial Guard amongst others. I've also played Necromunda, Battlefleet Gothic and Inquisitor at one stage or another.
Over recent years, I've become more interested in historical wargaming. I've collected an Early Imperial Roman army for Hail Caesar due to my interest in Roman military history. The first 250 years of the 1st millennium AD are some of the most interesting and bloodthirsty times in history. This is where my interest in Arena Rex really started - I was looking for a great looking and interesting gladiatorial combat game.
I've also started collecting 2 forces for Bolt Action - a force of British Commandos backed up by some SAS and some Home Guard and a Soviet force based around the defenders of Stalingrad with the best medium sized tank of WW2 - the T-34/85.
These days, I mainly collect and paint for enjoyment and can't remember the last time I actually gamed. I hope to change this by introducing a few other people to Arena Rex :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:20 am 
Noxius

CrayolaSmoker you have dropped a new addiction on my head. I watched through that x-wing video that you posted and now I can't stop obsessing over the game. I am going to grab a copy of the core set and some expansions as soon as I can find them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 pm 
Noxius

I started off with 2nd Ed 40K, and I've been all over the place ever since. While I've dabbled in everything, I currently have multiple 40K armies, two or three Fantasy armies, a Cryx force from Mk1, over 1000 soulstones of Malifaux models, and I'm getting into Saga and In Her Majesty's Name. My brother is a fan of Ambush Alley, so I give that a try from time to time, and while I've looked at DZC, I have a half finished Epic Eldar force that I should really commit to as opposed to scrapping it for a completely different game. I have some old Soviets from Flames of War, and even a few Confrontation minis... but as for the games I've played and will be playing in the last month and next month, it's Malifaux, Blood Bowl, Saga, IHMN, and Super Dungeon Explore.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:06 pm 
Noxius

If you're on the fence about Dropzone, let me tell you, it's one of the best games on the market. Hawk Wargames is doing it right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:28 pm 
Noxius

I've been playing tabletop war games for about 20 years now since the time a friend got me into Warhammer Fantasy. I quickly got hooked into Necromunda when it launched and have always enjoyed smaller sized skirmish type games (one of the reasons I'm so psyched for AR). Over the years I've accumulated about a dozen different 40k and fantasy armies. Up until about a month ago I was running a GW store which I left to return to school. Lately I've been looking into that new X-Wing game since I've heard great things about it.
I also enjoy RPGs (recently started a Deathwatch campaign), boardgames, card games (stuff like Dominion, not CCGs), and dice games. Basically if the word "game" could describe it, I have probably contemplated playing it at some point.
Really hoping to get a good community of AR players going around here once we can get out grubby little hands on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:49 am 
Noxius

In terms of miniature gaming, I started with Warhammer 40k 2nd Ed, with a small Space Wolf force... then went to Chaos Space Marines. I stopped playing, and got rid of my stuff around the time they got rid of the specific cult/chapter rules for CSM in the 3rd or 4th edition of W40K. I was always tempted to do a radical Daemonhunters army allied with the Relictors chapter of SM though. Stopped miniature gaming for a few years, but instead of returning to 40K, I picked up Warmachine and Hordes, since the smaller skirmish scale appealed to me, and that there is no "must-have-uber unit/model" that seemed to dominate 40K armies.

Though I've mainly been one that played more RPGs, than mini's. The main one being HackMaster, being my group's resident GM for that. With odd sessions of Savage Worlds RPG, the various 40K inspired RPGs, and are now playtesting D&D Next.

Other than that, just the odd boardgame or card game, like Gloom, Munchkin, and the like.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:41 am 
Noxius

what I play.. Dystopian Wars, Infinity, X-Wing, Drop Zone Commander

what I have on the painting table... err I dont like painting

what I have collecting dust..... WarmaHordes (PoM, & Legion) 40K, WHA, WHFB, Malifaux, Dystopian Legions (lack of opponent!), Godslayer (waiting for people to get their Kickstarters)

Oh to expand on DZC - Yes the inital outlay is expensive (but FAR less than GW) but the upgrade costs (eg single units) is the same as most other games...eg 2 PHR walkers are about the same as 1 Infinity / Malifaux model

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:48 pm 
Noxius

Sedition Wars, Dystopian Wars, Firestorm Armada, Xwing, A game of thrones LCG, and lot and lots of board games.

use to play or play on occasion

Axis and Allies minis, War at Sea, Malifaux, Anima Tactics, Dark Age, Hell Dorado, Bushido, Battle Tech, Mech Warrior.

Am I the only war gamer that has never played a gw game?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:50 pm 
Noxius

alladin the paladin wrote:
I have actually yet to play a game of anything, being a) fairly new to the hobby and b) more into the artistic side of it, but I would like to start playing at some point - I tend to be a perfectionist (though my work is far from perfect) and hope to only field fully painted armies (this was the plan, but after 1 year and still not 1 completed mini, I am thinking of revisiting this ideal).

My current WIP is a 40k Grey Knights army, not because they are OP but because I like their style. I also bought a couple boxes of Tyranids (still on sprue) and now have the Dark Vengeance box to play with so will likely revive my old CSM aspirations from the last time I tried my hand at the hobby 10 years ago. I do also like the look of Dark Angels so hopefully I can stay away from them, and have had urges to start Tau and Eldar with all the excitement around their codexes.

Beyond that, I have my AR kickstarter, plus have an interest in possibly starting Malifaux and/or Dropzone Commander, but only if I get significantly more into the gaming side of things.

I should have more free time staring in a few weeks so hope to really hit the painting table and get some projects complete...

In short, self-diagnosed ADD

Welcome to wargaming.

I have OCD and get professional help for it.

Though not sure how well it is working.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:54 pm 
Noxius

Ashur wrote:

Welcome to wargaming.

I have OCD and get professional help for it.

Though not sure how well it is working.

Thanks!

Yeah, I AM a "professional" and that hasn't helped me any...

And yes, you likely are the only wargamer with no GW in your resume

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next