Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: What else do y'all play?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:52 am 
Noxius

Hey everybody, MightyBroden here. I was just wondering what other games everyone else played. I also want to know what drew you to Arena Rex and why. Now myself personally I started off with 40k then I moved to Warhammer fantasy. Now I flip between both of them depending on my whims. I've got a couple Malifaux crews as well. I've dabbled in War machine with a small Khador force. Now what attracted me to Arena Rex was the models and the artwork. I stayed for the backgrounds and they finally sold me on the gameplay. I must have watched the gameplay video a 20 times haha. Now I'm truly stoked for the beta testing and everything.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:05 pm 
Noxius

Playing... actually nothing :)
[edit: Not true, I totally forgot that I am playing in a Bloodbowl league atm! Go me!]

But owning and collecting... I have a lot of Malifaux, heaps of WH40K (mainly Imperial Guard), a couple of hundred miniatures for BattleTech and some obscure stuff like Cold War Commander in 6mm, Mighty Armies (15mm) and Brushfire, and lately I started an 8th Army force for Bolt Action.

Yeah, well, short attention s...quirrel!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:31 pm 
Crudus

I currently play Malifaux, Force on Force and DBMM.

Currently, I am also thinking about Dropzone Commander to get, but that would again be quite an invest.

I think I saw Arena Rex in an RSS Feed in a Tabletop Forum. And the idea of gladiatorial combat hooked me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:29 pm 
Noxius

Yeah I was looking into DZC too but getting into it seemed really steep. And that's coming from someone used to Games Workshop prices haha.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:10 pm 
Noxius

Stuff that hits the gaming table: X-Wing, Dreadball, Spartacus, SAGA

Stuff that hits the painting table: 40K, Infinity, Zombiecide, Necromunda

Stuff that gathers dust: Mobile Frame Zero, DUST Warfare, Dystopian Wars, MERCs, Malifaux, Warmachine, Hordes, Flames of War, WFB

For a variety of reasons, I've been less and less enthused with full-scale war games over the past few years. It's not a huge surprise, as I've always modeling and painting were always more enjoyable anyway. Over the last year or two, skirmish sized stuff, one-off projects, and board/hobby game hybrids tend to hold my attention much better and are far easier to introduce into my local gaming group. I've still got a pretty big nostalgic sweet spot for building and painting in the 40K universe, but I've little desire to play there right now.

Arena Rex appealed because I've been intermittently perusing old gladiator miniature games for years and never pulled the trigger. When Red Republic launched the Kickstarter, I was already a big fan of Spartacus, had just started playing SAGA, and was going through a related spree of non-fiction reading on the Viking Age. When the Blood Brotherhood minis started showing up, I was a goner. It was the perfect nexus of stuff I was geeking out over. The chance to get in on the ground floor of a gladiator game with cool mechanics, even cooler aesthetics, and getting a slew of miniatures worthy of competition painting was just too good to pass up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:38 am 
Noxius

@CrayolaSmoker: How is X-wing? I've heard about it but I haven't seen any gameplay for it. And what is SAGA?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:21 am 
Noxius

X-Wing is good! It's a simple, fast game with surprising depth - partially from force selection, mostly from outsmarting your opponent. Pretty simple to set up and take down, defaults to a 3' x 3' table making it playable almost anywhere, and most games are 60-90 minutes. FFG has a slick tutorial video that gives you the basics. Definitely worth checking out.

SAGA is a "warband" scale game set during the Viking Age. A single "point" will buy you 4 Hearthguard, 8 Warriors or 12 Levy troops, with most games played at the 4-6 point range. While the force you're playing has some differentiation based on army (Normans Warriors can opt to ne mounted, Welsh have the option to have more javelins, etc.) the basic troops are all really similar - a Hearthguard is a Hearthguard, a Levy is a Levy, etc. Where your army gets its flavor is from its Battle Board.

A Battle Board is a board with 18 boxes in it. In each box is rule and a cost, in dice, to be able to activate that rule. Each turn you roll a number of "SAGA dice" based on what forces you have on the table (2 for your Warlord, 1 for each Hearthguard unit, 1 for each Warrior unit, none for Levies). You then place those dice on your Battle Board and get to activating your units and special rules.

It's an ingeniously clever system with well-balanced forces. And the rule book is well laid out with great examples and walkthroughs of each mechanic. If the period interests you at all, it's well worth a look.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:21 am 
Noxius

Right now I play mostly WarmaHordes. I also own some seriously neglected Tau for 40k and sold several thousand points worth of other GW merchandise since the new year. I'm about to get my hands on some Firestorm Armada and Dystopian Wars minis in the very near future, a game system that I have been eager to explore for about a year now. I also am planning to dive into Infinity when I have the cash.

I just moved into a new gaming community about 2 months ago so I'm still trying to get a bead on who is interested in what but I think there is a lot of interest in a lot of games.

Arena Rex sold me largely on the miniatures and the rules. The game play looks absolutely superb and the number of miniatures required means I can collect enough to provide everything required for both sides. I really really plan to champion this game as much as possible in my area and hopefully get a pretty decent following. If everything goes well, hopefully I can start running tournaments next summer or maybe even next spring.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:54 am 
Noxius

I play Warhammer and 40k, mostly Fantasy. I may be gravitating away from 40k forever. I also play WarmaHordes, which is pretty big around here now. Bigger than GW in my opinion.

I will be heavily promoting Arena Rex in my area.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:31 pm 
Noxius

I have actually yet to play a game of anything, being a) fairly new to the hobby and b) more into the artistic side of it, but I would like to start playing at some point - I tend to be a perfectionist (though my work is far from perfect) and hope to only field fully painted armies (this was the plan, but after 1 year and still not 1 completed mini, I am thinking of revisiting this ideal).

My current WIP is a 40k Grey Knights army, not because they are OP but because I like their style. I also bought a couple boxes of Tyranids (still on sprue) and now have the Dark Vengeance box to play with so will likely revive my old CSM aspirations from the last time I tried my hand at the hobby 10 years ago. I do also like the look of Dark Angels so hopefully I can stay away from them, and have had urges to start Tau and Eldar with all the excitement around their codexes.

Beyond that, I have my AR kickstarter, plus have an interest in possibly starting Malifaux and/or Dropzone Commander, but only if I get significantly more into the gaming side of things.

I should have more free time staring in a few weeks so hope to really hit the painting table and get some projects complete...

In short, self-diagnosed ADD