Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:09 am 
Noxius

Hi guys, I've started planning out the arena I want to build, and I'd appreciate some input/feedback.

I definitely want something other than the standard circle with columns, and after a couple ideas I've hit on one I want to build. It will be multi-tiered, hanging-gardens type with a central mostly oval traditional arena shape, then drop away to a grassy lower area on three sides. The fourth side will be a large wall with a gate and spikes. Down the center of the arena on both tiers, from a central fountain, will run a water feature.

I made a quick sketch of the idea (forgive the drawing, its paint on a laptop touchpad)

Here are the wrinkles. I want it to be a hex map. We've tried the game a few times now, both as written and using a hex grid instead of free measuring for movement, and the consensus has been that we actually prefer the game using hexes. So, the map that I want needs to be hexed. Second, it needs to be able to be packed up, because I cannot yet afford turning my apartment into a permanent monument to AR.

So, I'd appreciate any suggestions or feedback. Someone suggested using Heroscape tiles for the surfaces, but I've no experience with those. Does anyone know if they're the right scale for AR. I've also considered getting hex tiles made from Litko or someone similar.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:40 am 
Noxius

So many questions....
What size are you looking to make the base?
Are you looking to store this flat?
Are you looking to add 3D elements to the terrain or are you using a painted (i.e. small walls, traps, bushes,etc are painted onto the base to represent obstacles rather than have a 3D structure)?
Have you thought about building it out of foamboard or thick card, or do you want a heavier MDF construct?

Using the hex tile layout could make the arena look quite sci-fi / Westworld-esque.

What size are these hexes anyway? I might have a play around with this in CAD & Photoshop and see if I can create a more portable arena for myself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:42 am 
Noxius

Have a look at some of the 3D terrain used in classic Battletech. I've seen boards with gridded out flat areas, gridded foam hills, canyons, the whole bit. Not sure if they are something someone crafted on their own, or if it would be available to purchase online or not, but it could easily be used for both the flat area and the raised area you are looking for (with some very slight modification)

**Edit: Looks like it's referred to typically as "Geo Hex Terrain". Looks like a lot of it is scratch built, so I'm sure you could figure out a viable method for doing it. (unless you are like me, I can't scratch build decent terrain to save my life!) There may be some pieces for sale around the web as well, but I didn't look too deep. Here's some picture examples:

Hope that gives you some ideas...

http://www.nerdsvsninjas.blogspot.com - a humble blog about gaming and other nerdy stuff...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:59 pm 
Noxius

The size of the base would have to depend on the size of the tiles. With the 2D sketch we've been playing on, its 17 hexes at the largest on the y-axis, and 18 at the largest on the x-axis. We've been using 1" hexes, since the proxy models are smaller, but depending on the base size of the AR models that will probably have to be increased to 1.5 or 1.75". So, the base then would need to be around 30-33", pretty much in line with RRG's suggested size.

This will definitely be a 3D arena when its finally made. The raised platform area should be about 3-4" higher than the grassy lower area, the columns and statue will be real, any bushes or tress below, etc. Hopefully it will be able to store relatively flat, with the raised platform detaching from the board. That's why a modular design design is really attractive.

I haven't given much thought to the materials yet, largely because I've never done a project like this before. Those Battletech boards look amazing, and a lot of work. That might be the way to go though, and I'll definitely do some research on that, thanks.

Here's a small file of the playtest map we've been using

Some home rules we've been using

The columns and fountain are normal hazards

If you're pushed into the water, on your next activation turn you get a free attempt to get out. If you roll a 4+, you get out on the opposite side from where you were pushed. Otherwise, you get swept 5 hexes down the river and fatigue up. Each turn you get a free attempt for each of your models in the river. If you go over the edge (where the colour lightens), then you take 5 damage reduced by ARM.

You can move through the river so long as you have enough movement to get out the other side. On a 2+, you make it through, otherwise you are swept up and count as having been pushed in.

If you're pushed over the edge of the raised platform down to the grassy area, you take 5 damage reduced by armor. If you're pushed on to the lower step, you take 3 damage reduced by armor. No damage if you're pushed to the upper step.

From the upper platform, you can attack to the platform or upper step. From the upper step, you can attack the platform or the lower step. From the lower step, you can attack the upper step, lower step or the grass. From the grass, you can attack the lower step or the grass.

The 'wall' edge counts as spiked all along its length. The other three edges count as pits.

You can climb the platform's walls (hanging vines, etc) by 'spending' 3 movement, then rolling a 3+. If the roll fails, your movement ends.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:13 pm 
Noxius

Like the idea, and LOVE the homebrew terrain rules. Being swept down river is rad. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:11 am 
Noxius

Nice.

I'm not sure I would want to keep the edges so hex-y though. I would prefer to see more natural faces to the raised area and stream. But maybe that's just me. :lol:

You might want to post your proposed river rules in the Rules - Suggestion & Discussion forum as it would be nice to have a set of alternative rules for terrain.