Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hippodrome
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:37 am 
Viridis

Thank you. All the terrain in the picture is re-used from my other magnetic arena. I'm pretty happy with how that turned out, especially with the duel circle - that it just exactly fit to cover the central pit, without me having planned it that way.

Right now, I have a kind of crazy plan. Because there are space for 10 columns here, all spread out symmetrically, I got to thinking... shouldn't these columns actually be holding something up? Like a roof?

So I've started building something like a roof for this arena, kind of an elevated platform which I was thinking could hold spectators. Then the pillars would have something to hold up. I probably won't be able to have it on during play, since it would get in the way too much, but it might look cool. And a hobby like this is a bit like railway modelling, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:53 am 
Noxius

Wishing wrote:
Thank you. All the terrain in the picture is re-used from my other magnetic arena. I'm pretty happy with how that turned out, especially with the duel circle - that it just exactly fit to cover the central pit, without me having planned it that way.

Right now, I have a kind of crazy plan. Because there are space for 10 columns here, all spread out symmetrically, I got to thinking... shouldn't these columns actually be holding something up? Like a roof?

So I've started building something like a roof for this arena, kind of an elevated platform which I was thinking could hold spectators. Then the pillars would have something to hold up. I probably won't be able to have it on during play, since it would get in the way too much, but it might look cool. And a hobby like this is a bit like railway modelling, I think.

Sounds like a cool idea, but how would spectators be able to see anything if they are up on the roof? Unless you are thinking something like a balcony?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:12 am 
Viridis

I think my idea was that there is a central part of the arena with all the riles and stuff. And then there is a ring around that part with sand. And in the sandy ring, you could have races, like in a modern race track. If the roof platform is just in the centre, then people could sit on it and look down on people racing below.

But I think that might be too awkward. What I'm thinking of now is making the roof into something that I can either use as a roof, or as an additional layer of stone tile in the centre of the arena, depending on whether or not I choose to raise it up on pillars or not. It sounds a bit weird, but we will see. If it doesn't work out, no harm done, since it's a separate part that I can just choose to not use.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:38 am 
Viridis

I got four new columns made, so now the roof can be held up by eight columns. So far it just looks like this. But the plan is to add layers so the roof will be sloping. And a hole in the middle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:28 am 
Viridis

While I was working on this, I got an idea to do part of the arena floor not in sand, but rather make it look like there are exposed tiles or planks underneath the sand. So I starting drawing and scoring into the foamboard to give this effect. I think it will look interesting and break up the look a little to make it more dynamic.

Not entirely sure how I would paint it yet. My first instinct is to try and paint it to look like wood, but I will probably have to do some trial and error once it is ready for painting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:45 pm 
Viridis

This is current status on this guy. I am building a wall. As I am still carving the bricks individually, it is taking a while. Like I knew it would.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:19 pm 
Viridis

The quiet on this forum over the last few weeks is freaking me out a bit. I guess cos we are all waiting for a tiger.

Walls and pit covers for the Hippodrome are done. Now for the real painting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:18 pm 
Noxius

Coming along nicely!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:21 am 
Noxius

The oval is a fun idea. I'd love to work out rules for chariot-style races using the mounted figures.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:10 pm 
Viridis

First layer of paint is on, and I think it is starting to come together now. It looks pretty much like my first arena, not surprisingly, but I like the larger oval and the real pits a lot. I look forward to trying out some rules where models can climb out of the pits again after being pushed in...

I am also working on a viewing platform that can be attached to the walls of either arena. Would be a fun place to put models after they have been defeated, I figure.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next