Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:56 pm 
Viridis

I was actually planning to be totally fine with just playing on the normal arena mat from the webstore. And I have been so far. Buuuut... now I feel inspired. And want to build a 3D version.

I have a very clear vision. I want the edges to be very low, because I want it to be easy to store away, and potentially carry around. So not a lot of periphery. But the main point of it is that I want to put magnets in the floor of the arena and in my hazards, so that I can put them in place and will bloody well stay in the exact same place all game.

I already started with some magnets in the floor and some terrain pieces. This is going to be fun I think.

Last edited by Wishing on Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Magnetic Arena
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:42 pm 
Noxius

That sounds great. Will love to see it as you build. Seeing as I'm way-deep into my 3D arena build, it will be nice to see someone else's inspiration and construction.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:30 pm 
Viridis

Great timing, as I was just about to post some preliminary photos. Here is the basic arena disc, shown with two hazards and a Khepros imitating a pepper for scale.

The plate is just a 1cm thick foamboard plate cut to size. Unforunately it is slightly smaller than a normal arena, the playable area will be exactly 25 inches in diameter, as opposed to the recommended 30 inches. But hey. I couldn't get a bigger piece of foamboard, and I wanted it to be one uninterrupted piece.

The work I'm doing just now is about putting magnets in stuff as I mentioned. The magnetized parts will be indicated by tiles in the sand. But here I have placed the board on its side, leaning against my wall, so that you can see that the hazards really do stay in place.

I put two small magnets in each tile zone (will show them later) and a corresponding two magnets in each hazard piece.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:47 pm 
Noxius

Looking good. Definitely gonna be lighter and easier to transport than my monstrosity of an arena. Are you planning to have a ring wall or just going to leave it without?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:51 pm 
Viridis

Thank you. I will definitely make a ring wall - that's the main thing that makes it feel 3D and different from the playmat, I think. I just don't have any styrofoam to make it from at the moment, so it will have to wait until I can source some. :)

I'm a sucker for symmetry, so this is the layout I have drawn up for where the magnet zones are. So far there are seven, although I suspect I will end up with nine in total. You can see that the tiny dots within the darker zones are the actual magnets.

I like that I can make the setup symmetrical with any number of a single hazard piece types this way.

With only one of a certain type, I can put it in the middle.
With one, two or three sets of two, I can place them across from each other.
With one or two sets of three, I can put them in a triangle shape.
With one set of four, I can put two on the left and two on the right.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:30 am 
Viridis

And this is then what it looks like with all seven central hazard points filled up with hazards in a symmetric fashion. One crude column in the middle, four grecian pillars, and two fences. (Daylight photo this time.)

The extra two hazard points to the sides will mainly be because one of the scenarios in the book calls for a duel zone placed against the edge of the arena, and since I have a duel zone specifically built for this purpose, I want to be able to attach that one with magnets too.

Edit: Damn, I didn't notice when I took the photo that the topmost fence isn't actually placed in the hazard zone, but it placed near it. Oh well. :) I'm not retaking the photo, you get the idea...

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:29 am 
Viridis

Alright, I think all my normal hazards have magnets in the bases now to attach to the arena floor. Two crude columns, four grecian pillars, three fences, one beast post and one central duel zone. The only piece I have that won't is my round sacrificial pit - it doesn't have any depth to put magnets into in the right spaces, so it will have to go without.

But I am going to make three new smaller square pits that will be magnetized. It's a shame that they cannot actually open up into the arena floor, but hey. I am thinking of painting the hole part as if the floor was smoldering coals, to not have it just be boring flat black, and give the impression that this is a lethal danger zone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:15 am 
Viridis

I have also started to build the outside wall now. I went with a classic hands on approach and will cut out a bunch of individual bricks (about 3x1x1cm) and build the wall out of those. Cutting all the bricks out of Styrofoam will take some time I think, but it is the kind of work I enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:25 am 
Viridis

Progress on the wall. It is slow and boring work to cut out the bricks as expected, but watching the wall slowly grow is satisfying.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:53 am 
Crudus

Looking good!
You could use something like this, if they sell it in your neck of the woods:

FloraCraft Monumnet Edition Project White Foam Bricks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005P1RBTM/re ... 1yb5STMECR