Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: The Pentagon
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:52 am 
Noxius

After trying to secure a playmobil arena on eBay and failing to do so, I decided to try and make my own.

Here are some current WIP photos.

https://imgur.com/a/jbyjq

Post subject: Re: The Pentagon
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:24 am 
Viridis

That looks really cool so far. Even though the playmobil arena would have been easier, I think it is much more satisfying to build your own terrain.

I need to be able to transport my arena around without a car, so I just got the arena mat from the webstore, but I love seeing 3D arenas. The Pentagon shape is cool. I only work with Styrofoam myself, so I am impressed with the woodwork. Very manly. :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:58 am 
Crudus

That is a sweet job on the texturing; looks natural and the fluctuation between textured and smooth works perfectly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:19 am 
Noxius

GonzoGarbanzo wrote:
That is a sweet job on the texturing; looks natural and the fluctuation between textured and smooth works perfectly.

Hah! Thanks. The texturing was sort of a happy accident. I'm having a hard time using milliput over a large surface... keeping it even at least.

I'll post more pictures once I get the walls all finished and the structure permanently nailed together. I won't paint until after that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:58 pm 
Crudus

GonzoGarbanzo wrote:

AGREED - that blend of what looks like stone and stucco is outstanding. Nice job.

(And I'll second the call for a how-to ASAP.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:52 pm 
Noxius

That looks awesome. Consider this a third request on how you did it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:43 pm 
Noxius

Yeah man, I'll jump on the "how'd you do dat? Bandwagon. Looks fantastic and beat up-appropriately. Great combination of perfect bricks and patched fixes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:09 am 
Noxius

The requests will be answered!!

The walls are a wood base. I used 5 3/8" H x 18" L x 3/4" W
Each angle was cut at 36 degrees to make the pentagon shape. I went with these dimensions to get as close as I could to having the same playable surface area as a 28" diameter circle.

I used hole saws to cut out the doors...nothing fancy. I think I used a 76mm saw for the big holes and a 40mm saw for the small holes.

The texturing was done with a 50/50 mix of Milliput 2-part putty and plastalina, and some textured rolling pins from greenstuff world (located in Spain, they have a webstore).
For anyone who hasn't used Milliput it can be found online and probably at most hobby stores (Hobby Lobby is where I got mine). It is awesome stuff. It dries in about 3-4 hours and it dries hard as a rock. Plastalina is just some cheap non-drying sculpting putty. I used this just to get more out of my milliput. It increased the drying time for the miliput to about 24 hours...but the mixture still dried hard as a rock.

So I mixed half a stick of milliput and an equal amount of plastalina together and started to apply a thin layer onto the wood. This took the majority of my time. Milliput is hard to work with over a large area because it constantly wants to grab everything even with liberal use of water alllll over my fingers.

Once I was happy with the base layer of the milliput mix, I applied quite a bit of water to the whole surface. Next I loaded up the brick textured roller with Vaseline and proceeded to slowly roll it across the surface. Patchy spots were more of a happy accident simply because the milliput would not spread out evenly across the wood.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation for a pretty simple process.

I'm hoping to work on it some more this weekend and following week. I'll post more pictures of how its coming along.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:46 am 
Noxius

Chab, do some WIP/progress photos too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:12 am 
Noxius

Reece wrote:
Chab, do some WIP/progress photos too.

Ill try to remember. My fingers get so messy though :?