Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: The Rhode Island Arenas
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:12 pm 
Crudus

So, since Arena Rex is such an awesome game, the crew and I have decided to build a couple arenas that are just as awesome. We've got several planned. I can't take too much credit for anything other than concept and some sourcing at this point, as my good friend Matt has done a lot of the heavy hitting on these guys so far. Particularly finding the Playmobil arena on ebay for a reasonable price, because that's not easy!
So, first thing we're doing is the "easy" premade arena on a sand style board. We've also got another board that we're calling the "Dirt Pit" board. This is going to represent the Legio XIII's home turf, out where the Roman Legions are making camp. This will be mostly wooden log style walls and earthworks.
We plan on two more boards. One will be a Zephyri board that will have standing stones and totem poles, and another sand board that will be making tons of use of a bunch of the Hirst Arts Egypt molds.
As of now, everything but the playmobil arena will be 24x36. This is the best use of the materials we had on hand, which was a bunch of 2' wide insulation foam (which has been shot to hell with airstoft guns and need to be filled). 24x24 is a great size for small games of Arena Rex, and we can play the long way if we have more models on the board.

Anyway, here's our beginning photos!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:11 pm 
Crudus

I absolutely love the log fenceposts - how did you make them? HA molds?

I'm also more than a little jealous about your score of that arena... every time I've gone looking, prices are ridiculous!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:53 am 
Crudus

Really looking forward to seeing that second arena finished with the wooden walls.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:48 am 
Crudus

Thanks guys! Those walls/fences are from Wargamma.
http://wargamma.com/products/palisade-timber-walls
I'm not sure where he found the ramps, but I'll try and find out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:50 pm 
Crudus

Well, after a solid Sunday's work, we have quite a bit done on our Arena Rex boards. Our DirtPit is just about ready for paint, and we started work on our Henge board. We're pretty stoked about the progress on these guys. I can't wait to get some color on them and start getting some games in!

The pit board has the tried and true "dig the foam out and stick tooth-picks in it" technique. We made the also tried and true planking to cover them. They are also small enough that if we want, we can cover them with dueling rings.

The henge is in it's infancy, but you can see the scale we're looking at.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:43 am 
Crudus

Looks really nice. Can't wait to see some paint on this arena!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:49 am 
Viridis

All of this looks amazing. I love building and looking at terrain. The dirt pit works really well.

I was looking at the thread about the arena for the German Saar-Hammer arena, and was totally blown away by how professional it looks. Then I go to this thread and... it has the same arena? From the description here, I am sensing that it is a mass-produced arena from Playmobil, but when I saw it in the other thread, I thought it was hand-made. ;)

So it is a toy arena that has a suitable size to work as an Arena Rex arena? (Seemingly so - it says the diameter is 33".) That is just super lucky (unless RRG knew about the kit when they designed the game :)). I get why this would be popular and hard to get a hold of nowadays.

I can see one that looks like the right one on amazon UK for £276.99. Yeah, that's a lot of money.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:00 pm 
Crudus

The Saarhammer arena and the one in here are the same. I have the same one here at home, as does a friend of mine here.
We got it for 40€. It is indeed the Playmobil-Arena. The guy from Saarhammer went a long way and put a lot of effort in the arena, painting everything anew, etc.

It does indeed look fantastic. The inside-diameter is 28", so in my opinion, definitely close enough to play within the arena.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:54 pm 
Viridis

Really brilliant. I love that there is such a good-looking 3D arena around as an option for AR, even if it's not always easy or cheap to get.

I have a club that I go to game in sometimes, but it's quite far from my house and I don't have a car, and I prefer to keep my personal terrain that I care about at home. So I really want to get one of those neoprene mats to play on, to go with my own small-scale home-made hazards that I can carry back and forth to the club in my backpack. If I ever get so far as to want a 3D arena, it would be one I would build for the club, not for myself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:53 am 
Crudus

Thanks guys!
Yeah, that playmobil duder is pretty great. RRG even uses it as their demo table, so I'd say that it's a pretty ok size.
I'm eager to get color on the dirt pit! We just haven't been able to all get in the same spot at the same time to get it going. However, I did have a friend pick up Ywain and Valen for me at Gencon, sooo, I'm itching to get this done and get them on it!