Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: GuiZ' Arena(s)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:54 am 
Noxius

Hello everyone !

First of all, let me introduce myself : I'm an old french gamer always interested in finding new games, especially the ones with beautiful models ;) I discovered Arena Rex a few month ago, played a few games with proxys and realised it is a really good game ! So I ordered a few models (which I may show you when I'll start painting them ;) ) and imagined the Arena i could build to go with it. This forum is full of bright ideas and I hope you'll like mine... Here are the first steps :

First layer of the arena, with "cracks in the ground" that are also supposed to help put hasards symetricaly :) :

Second layer of the arena, which is basicaly a 30" circle with "stone marks" :

And finally third and fourth layer to bring some depth and make the thing look cool :p :

The next steps are gonna be sanding, painting, varnishing, adding a few accessories, and well... you'll see if you come back on this thread !

Post subject: Re: GuiZ' Arena(s)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:01 pm 
Crudus

Insanely badass.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:06 am 
Crudus

Incredibly simple but absolutely fantastic idea! Amazing. I am really looking forward to the progress.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:21 am 
Noxius

Hi there,

Thank you guys for the first feed back!

Here is now a quick post on the progess made during the week-end :

After all the layers have been glued together, the arena have been completely sanded to get a nice texture :

I had in mind that the floor has to be as flat as possible for future terrain, hasards and models. I'm pretty happy with the result :

And finally, I got to air brush the all surface with a thin layer of ocre paint :

I'm gonna try to work on the arena in the next days, hopefully finishing the table before the end of the week... Stay tuned !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:50 am 
Crudus

Still like it alot! Looks simple in the making, but the effect you create is really great :).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:34 pm 
Noxius

Hello, your arena is amazing ! Dividing the ground is a great idea : I had the same one !

PS : je suis également un joueur français, de l'agglo orléanaise. Nous serons prochainement 2/3 joueurs à avoir des figurines d'arena rex, nous ferons une commande lors des soldes de la gencon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:38 pm 
Noxius

Fantastic! Love the style, post some pics with your gladiators battling it out!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:48 am 
Noxius

Time for an update... with no pictures, I didn't get time to take any :(

Anyway, painting is now finished, and I put the varnish yesterday evening. Everything should be dry for the week-end, to put the final touch. I'll make sure to take some pics this time ;)

Thanks again for your kind words !
G.

Ghost wrote:
PS : je suis également un joueur français, de l'agglo orléanaise. Nous serons prochainement 2/3 joueurs à avoir des figurines d'arena rex, nous ferons une commande lors des soldes de la gencon.

hé, un autre frenchie :D Je suis par contre dans la région lyonnaise, donc ça va probablement être difficile de jouer, mais c'est cool, je me sens moins seul ici !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:59 am 
Crudus

I look forward to seeing it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:31 pm 
Noxius

Greetings Gladiators !

The week-end and the beginning of the week have been extra busy, but I can finally get time to show you what could be the finished version of my arena :) I’m not quite happy about some details, but I’ll get to that later…
For now, please enjoy my first pictures :
This is the full thing, with baize (?) around the arena and aluminium all around the borders :

As you can see, the cracks are now darkened and the all texture looks a lot less uniform:

I also added some little details to get a bit of green in this big stonney arena :

But here is what I’m note really happy about :

I used pigments to have a a more natural look, and I also added some « blood drops » to simulate a place where combats are hard… but the final result is not as good as what I would have expected. So what do you guys think ? Should I erase those aera and get a more uniform look, or should I leave it like that ?

Ps : and as a bonus, the arena is reversible and can be used as a regular board game table :)