Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Arenas- shape and size?
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:51 pm 
Noxius

Just getting into the game and I have been researching the game board size...more than 30" seems to be way too big...most of the arena also seem to be symmetrical...has anyone tried a rectangular or Oval arena? My thought are of making a 2' by 3' board that can double as a desert demo board for other games (BMG with added buttes) and an arena for AR...

any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:56 am 
Crudus

I would say that one of the beauties of ARENA REX is coming up with your own style of arena.
So in my opinion: go for whatever you want to build as an arena.
We played tournaments with three players in the playmobil-arena at SaarCon (pictures are in this forum).
But we also played on a large table, dividing it in four zones with each zone being played on by two players.
Just enjoy what you want to do and create your unique arena :).

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:53 am 
Noxius

I'd say 30" is a great size, though. I just built mine on a 2'x2' board, giving about 22.5" between walls. When I put the models on there and actually did some move actions around the board it seems very close and personal, which is good as it gets the action going fast. But you're definitely in their face early on (with a movement of 6" you're past the center line using only one fatigue and your free move).

Also you can break up the symmetry by the placement of your hazards. If you want the action in the center then place hazards on the outside.

There is a thread with an example of an oval ring (I think the topic is "Circus Pictoria"? I can't remember...), it looks great.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:29 am 
Noxius

sounds good...I have sketched out some ideas...mainly a 2' X 3' (or slightly shorter) board with rocky border and 4 "entry points" staggered along the sides. I want to balance the "Arena" feel with a basic small demo board for other games so I may try to make the entry points be ope area in rocky walls/hills

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:20 pm 
Noxius

I'm building mine to be 24" in diameter, only because there's an abundance of boards at craft stores (foam and wood) that all measure 2'x2'.

There will be hazards!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:52 am 
Viridis

My plan is to play on an arena mat once they are available, for a standard circular arena space. But I have also played enough Tomb Raider to be comfortable with the idea of a square pit or sunken floor inside a square temple that could function as an arena. So maybe, if I stay with the game long enough, I will try and make a 3D arena like that for my local game club.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:17 pm 
Noxius

I made a board that measures just under 2' x 3' that plays well.

There are permanent hazards built into the arena that can be played as shallow, harmless pools as well. There's also room for columns and I intend on adding walls soon too with rules for vaulting over them. My limiting factor is really how well it will fit in my car, otherwise I would have gone for a 3' x 4' board to stars with and use the leftover space on the outside of the actual arena for rolling dice or placing out of action models.