Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:19 am 
Noxius

So we have a list of the sculpters and what they'r sculpting: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159 ... sts/477850

And now we've seen a healthy number of sculpts and works-in-progress.

So what are you're general thoughts on what you've seen so far? Are there models you're looking forward to more or less now? Do you trust a sculpter with your favourite character, or have you discovered someone you're now a big fan of?

So here's my thoughts so far:

Overall I'm very pleased with what I've seen. There are one or two models I'm on the fence about (Tiet-khebi and Micon), but there's been quite a few models that have just been knocked out of the park (Othos, Wendigo, Proximo, Urbicus). I'd love to see a group shot of the whole range at some point, or at least a few more comparison shots (like MIKH's Othos and Lupa shot), just to see how they look next to one another.

In regards to sculpters and who's doing what, I am still a little anxious to see how some scukpts turn out.

MIKH obviously has proven without a doubt that he was born to sculpt models for Arena Rex (and any other range besides). I'm glad he's doing Leo, Septimus and Nero and Hroda. I was really anxious about Wendigo, but Robert Chaudon is doing a superb job on it (looking him up I realise he's easily up there with MIKH). It's just a shame he's only got Mago left, a model I wasn't initially interested in. Though I'm unsure about Micon, Valentin Zak has done a great job on Urbicus, and while I'm not that interested in Thoth or Ur-Kek I look forward to seeing which side of the fence they land. Proximo looks awesome, so I'm glad Stéphane Nguyen Van Gioi is doing Bjarrvhit and Zahra and Sereqet. I had lost confidence in James Van Schaik, but I got to say he's done a great job on Infleix. Benoit Cauches is a great sculpter, so I was initially glad he was doing Frigge, but after Noxius and Tiet-Khebi I have to say I am quite anxious about her. I didn't plan on picking up Hermes, as I wasn't a fan of the art, but Gael Goumon is one of my favourite sculpters (I own pregnant cyborg and bunny girl), so I'm really excited to see what he produces (wish he was doing more, especially some of the women). Sebastian Archer already set the benchmark when he sculpted Aquila, so I'm excited to see what he does with Vargr and Gaius. Looking up Patrick Masson, he's done some great work so I'm pretty excited to see what he does with Marcus and Viatrix.

Overall I would say I'm now more excited to see how the rest of the Titans turn out, because I think a lot of us felt most anxious about them and it's a big relief to see them looking so good. I was planning on picking Hroda as my Titan option, because she's more expensive and MIKH's sculpting her, but Wendigo looks so good (no fair =P) My favourite Ludus is Blood Brothers, but I'm still a little anxious about them. There's a lot of characters I initially didn't have much interest in, but based on their sculpter I am now interested in seeing.

I discovered most of these sculpters through Darklands, so in many ways their work on it has formed my expectations. While Darklands does have almost as many misses as hits (with the majority inbetween), Arena Rex's range is looking very strong, and I'm looking forward to seeing the final sculpts on the table.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:39 am 
Noxius

My top models that I am looking for the sculpts for are Ban-Luca, Gaius, Viatrix, Bjarrhvit, and Aemilia. 3 of those models are going to get some sort of repose, which while I appreciate that they will become less static it leaves a lot up in the air.

For Gaius I am mostly just excited, Sebastien has shown us brilliant work with Aquila and I and tremendously excited to see what a translation of pose and detail will look like coming from him, especially with all of the viney bits.

I'm curious to see how Bjarrhvit goes. She is one of my favourite concepts and as a female field of jupiter character I really really want her to be awesome. All that said when I look for work from Stéphane all I can really find are beasts, and that worries me a bit. His work on Proximo is brilliant (and I am regretting not making space for any titans now...) but I would still appreciate seeing what he can do with a human. Either way I'm excited to see her, I am just also a little bit anxious.

When I look for Patrick's work online everything I find gives me a tremendous amount of confidence in what he will create. His work seems to be made for resin and I wish he was doing more figures for the range based on his previous work. Needless to say I expect that Viatrix will be everything I could ask for and am also very excited for her sculpt.

Aemilia I am anxious about. When I look for work from Oliver all I can find are a few 3d renders and not much else. This accompanied with a potential repose makes me feel the way I do. While I trust RRG in their ability to pick sculptors and give us an amazing product I feel like Aemilia is basically just a big question mark.

Finally Ban-Luca. I'll be honest... I'm kind of worried about her. I'm hoping that she is still not on the list because RRG is putting a lot of effort into getting a reposed concept before assigning her to a sculptor. My big wish is that she will end up with Masson or Archer, or MIKH but he has a pretty long list already so I feel like probably not.

Other than the above there are a lot of models that I feel less invested in and thus am just excited to see in general. I am looking forward to Septimus both with and without Nero, Zahra both with and without Serequet, Iason, Frigge, Euryale, Lupa, Leo, and Otho. After seeing he WIP of Infelix and Proximo I really want both. Personally I think Micon is great and not that disproportioned as people suggest. I'm also interested to see who Urien ends up with. While I'm not super invested in what he ends up looking like I do plan to get him, though that may change.

Anyway I'm curious who else is interested in what and am generally just excited to see how this whole range of minis shapes up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:22 pm 
Noxius

Oh, so many models I'm looking forward to! Viatrix was one that I hoped would get a really good sculptor. I was just looking at Patrick Masson's work and if it's anything like his other work, there's going to be a lot of happy AR players. Considering the phenomenal job MIKH's done with Otho, I'm very excited to see what he does with Septimus and Nero. He posted some early photos of Lupa back in April (http://www.artmikh.blogspot.fr/2013/04/work-in-progress-of-wolfy-gladiator.html), I'd love to see what the sculpt looks like now. I really planned to focus on the LM faction... but Gaius has been really tempting. I could see myself getting him just to paint as a display mini. Of course a lot depends on what Sebastian does with him. His concept art is pretty static and, as I understand it, RRG said the sculpts for those figures would have a more dynamic pose. I only pledged for a couple field of Jupiter figures so we'll see who makes the cut.

As for fears... right now I don't really have any. The minis I'm most interested in (like Septimus, Lupa, and Viatrix) have some amazing sculptors working on them. Okay, so maybe my fear is having to wait until the end of the year to get these models!