Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:34 am 
Noxius

Hello everyone, my name is Matthias, I'm from the Netherlands and recently picked up two Ludi starter sets and several individual models to finally get my Arena Rex collection going after a long while without enough money to make a first plunge. I have a history in 40K and WARMACHINE, but today I'm asking for some advice on a paint scheme I've been aching to do ever since I came across this game and its miniatures. If you can help me out that'd be amazing. I have experience painting but it's been a few years by now and I've never done anything like this before.

Simply put: I want the miniatures to look like marble statues of legendary fighters long since dead. I'm thinking white marble with simple washes in the recesses for shading and painting every piece that would be made of bronze in the life-size versions of these models bronze & patina (so shades of green more or less). I might even pin models with secondary struts if they look unlikely to hold the weight were they made of actual marble (the pins also painted to look bronze). The bases would be plain marble with perhaps a broken column piece at most, but perhaps I'd paint the base edges in the colours appropriate to their faction.

Thing is, I've looked online for guides and came across a fair few good ones, but none that seemed to fit just right for me. I don't want the marble to be that veiny for example, and I have trouble putting the whole process together in a way that makes sense.

For example, do I paint the figures and bases separately? Do I prime and base coat? And which colours? I don't know how easily I start losing detail on these models for example. If there's anyone here who can give me a reasonably detailed step-by-step so I can replicate the paint job on future models as I buy them over time?

I'm looking to make something more or less like this: Image but with this kind of green bronze patina (less patterned though) Image

I hope to hear from some of you, and if you can help: thank you!

Kind regards,
Matthias

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:44 am 
Viridis

Well, if you don't want the marble to look veiny (which is what I think is the hard part), then I think the stone skin would be really easy. Use a light creamy grey as the base, drybrush up with a creamy white, wash with agrax earthshade. :)

I painted my Medusa with a kinda similar idea in mind, so her skin is grey and stone-like.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:07 am 
Noxius

That looks really nice! I like the color on the 'cloth' quite a bit. Could I basically go like this?

- Clean/Prepare the pieces
- Pin where necessary and desired
- Prime in light grey
- Drybrush in tan-white
- Shade with a dark 'dust' wash
- Do the same for the base
- Paint the base edge
- Use green bronze metallic paint for the weaponry
- Apply the patina (was thinking of using something like thishttp://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/06/k9-hobby-training-painting-rust-and-patina.html)
- Assemble everything
- Apply clear matte sealant
- Done!

I don't think I missed anything there, did I? Thank you for your reply.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:46 am 
Viridis

Seems legit, even though I'm not really a believer in "formulas". Doing art is very personal, and there isn't just one right way to do it. I fully assemble and base my models before I paint anything, for example. But it's also possible to paint first and assemble after, as you suggest.

Basically, you have to try it out and see. If it doesn't work, try again. :) To me, the most important thing is to use thinned down paint, so you can paint over it again easily if you need to.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:33 am 
Noxius

Fair points, and I'll be sure to thin my paints! I actually came around to not color-coding my bases because of a discussion on another thread (I think you participated in as well) noting that it's very possible to play models outside of their 'intended' Ludi. Color coding would only be confusing in those cases. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:24 pm 
Viridis

You're welcome, and I totally find that discussion always relevant. I can't help but want to paint each model in a scheme that fits with their ludus, so red for Ludus Magnus, blue for Legio, and so on, but part of me wishes that I would have just painted them all in neutral colours (greys, browns, whites etc) without "strong" ludus colours. Making cross-ludus cohorts would look more natural that way.

For example, I have a 5-strong "teen girl squad" that I want to field with Ban-Luca, Aemilia, Frigge, Hroka and Viatrix. And a corresponding 3-strong "tough guy gang" of Ur-kek, Hagal and Micon. Lots of cross-ludus action.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:10 pm 
Noxius

Marble
Warhammer TV - Marble Effect
Painting Buddha - How to Paint White Marble Effects

Bronze
Warhammer TV - Bronze Armour
Tabletop Minions - How to paint a bronze statue
Note:You can still make your own verdigris, but GW has its own verdigris technical wash that works pretty well.

Hopefully that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:55 pm 
Crudus

Ooooo I can't wait to see the result!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:51 pm 
Noxius

@Dstinct Thank you!
@GonzoGarbanzo I'll post some pictures once I get the first batch up and running. It'll be a while but I'll tag you if I remember to :3.