Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:29 am 
Viridis

One of the first posts on the subreddit after Gencon 16 was someone saying that they were trying to assemble their Caho-Ta, but the legs seemed weird, and he was wondering if they were miscast.

I've just done the same exercise, and I thought the same thing. The legs seemed to cross each other way too much and not really fit. But now I've fiddled with it a bit, it seems to me like they do. They're just long and dangly limbs and hard to align properly.

What I ended up doing was pinning the legs three times: Each hoof into the base, for obvious reasons, and then one more pin, set before the other two, to pin the two hooves together.

I feel like the horse is meant to be balancing on effectively one point, and that one point is both rear hooves combined. So to make that point stable and sturdy, pinning the hooves together was essential. The illustration below shows the location of each pin with a red line.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:13 pm 
Crudus

Yup, this looks right to me, and is about how I assembled mine. My model, however, didn't come with a metal leg, like yours did. The weight of the body on the soft resin meant I kept coming back to find the model bent all the way to the ground. I ended up having to insert a series of pins in the rear legs to hold it together.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:50 pm 
Viridis

Yeah, the resin sprue I got had all the parts for the model on it, so every part has a resin version. Then the package also contained two metal parts - the hind leg and the spear hand.

So it seems like she was originally meant to be all resin, but then RRG got some feedback about droopiness and a wobbly spear, and decided to add metal versions of these parts, even though the parts already had resin versions on the sprues.

You must have bought a version that was packed early, before the improvement was added. This makes me think that if you would like metal versions of those parts, probably all you have to do is write to RRG and ask.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:23 pm 
Viridis

Started working with Dextarius now, and I feel like the thread could be resurrected and re-named to apply to all the horses in the game rather than just Caho-Ta.

My Dextarius had a terribly bent left leg that I could not unbend. Did anyone else have this problem?

I had to break it in order to get it to actually be planted on the ground. The following illustrates how different the angle of where it was was, compared to where I wanted it to be. So let this be a warning.