Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 939 Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:40 am 
Viridis

The edges of my hazards have now been repainted in more neutral tones. Looks better.

I also started on Pseudo-Acerbus. I don't know if rhinos can rear up on their hind legs in reality, but I think it will look cool, and to me, cool trumps realism. Iason in the house for scale purposes.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:09 pm 
Viridis

I'm pretty happy with my timing here. I just got a note saying that my new order is here and ready to pick up tomorrow I hope, and I just today finished painting my last model from my previous order. I love it when a plan comes together.

Proximo Rising:

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:19 pm 
Crudus

Crushin' it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:31 pm 
Viridis

Thank you. I didn't get my AR package today, kinda impatient about it, but I got another package, also AR related.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:48 am 
Viridis

And now the order has arrived. There was much rejoicing.

Upon inspecting my new parts, one question springs to mind.

As is evident from looking at Medusa standing next to a normal gladiator, the gorgons are giants. A normal sized human's height only reaches about the start of her ribcage. Her sister Stheno is the same size as Medusa.

Something different about Stheno is that she is carrying a severed head, the blood from which drips into a bowl. Gruesome.

As the gorgons are almost twice the size of a normal human, but normally proportioned, their limbs and heads are also of increased size. Obviously. And the thing that makes me pause is that Stheno's severed head is in proportion with Stheno. In other words, the severed head she is carrying is twice the size of a normal human head.

So... whose head is this? Did she cut the head off another giant? Or is the head maybe not a real physical head, but more of a grim spectral manifestation? A ghost head?

For the purposes of modeling and painting... I have to decide whether to keep the giant head, or try and find one of those old GW severed heads that came in their ork packs, which look exactly the same as Stheno's head, but human-sized. If I do that, Stheno will look like she is carrying a tiny head. Which is exactly what she would be doing, if she had cut the head off a human, since she is huge. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:29 am 
Viridis

Hmm... I think I may have thought of a solution to the decapitation problem. I was thinking of where I might take a head from if I can't find one that is unused, and then I thought that I have an old model that has a couple of severed heads hanging from its belt that it really doesn't need. The key being that this is a pair of severed heads. Giving Stheno a single human-sized severed head would probably look a bit underwhelming since it would be quite small in comparison to her, but if she is holding two heads, that should give the display a bit more oomph?

I'll dig out the heads and we shall see.

For now, one of the new models is assembled.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:03 pm 
Viridis

I have to say that I adore the Stheno model. Really. I have a problem with her face, but now I've fixed it to my liking, I think I almost like her better than Medusa. These are such supremely characterful and well sculpted models, it's a delight to work with them.

A giant Shiva the Destroyer as a gladiator in the Roman arena... who would have thought it?

I tried to give her a proper lolling tongue like Kali, but it wasn't super easy. I'll try and tidy it up a bit more, but other than the tongue, I am really happy with the way she looks now.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:30 pm 
Noxius

Those two proper scale heads are great.
Love her makeover.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:17 pm 
Viridis

Thank you. I'm really looking forward till I can start painting her. She needs a little more putty work though, mainly on her hair.

One new hazard I forgot to show sooner is the sacrificial pit, which happened a bit randomly when I took the centre out of my original duel ring.

Also, as I've mentioned here and elsewhere, I'm a huge fan of chains. This is my current plan for how to play with two gladiators that are meant to be chained together.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:25 am 
Viridis

All of the models in my last order have now been assembled, and I'm happy. Here are the Legio girls.

I find it interesting that of the three gorgons, Medusa seems to be the leader (she is the one the ludus card came with), but she is also the smallest, being the only one on a 40mm base, where the other two are on 50mm. Stheno is so big.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 939 Next