Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 539 Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:47 am 
Viridis

I agree that it does seem small, but the rulebook says "a 5" diameter ring is placed in the arena, this is the duel zone". So I figure I better do as it says.

Hmm... now you're making me double-check, I did actually make it slightly too small by about 1/4 of an inch. Argh. I like this one though, and it's not like I can enlarge it. I guess I will keep this one and paint it up as a prototype. I will make the second one the right size, and maybe make a third one too. My reasoning being that you need two of them for the Gemini scenario.

There are a couple of things I don't like about Euryale, but I feel bad explaining them since tastes vary obviously, and my opinion is no more valid than anyone else's. To each their own. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:59 am 
Viridis

ripper.mcguirl wrote:
Oooh, I super love that dueling ring idea!

I'm glad you like the ring, thank you. I am happy with how it turned out. There are steps onto it from both sides.

When it comes to miniatures, my order from RRG shipped on the 1st of August according to the email I got. How long does it usually take for a package from the US to the EU? Sheijtan is Germany-based, right?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:28 am 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
There are a couple of things I don't like about Euryale, but I feel bad explaining them since tastes vary obviously, and my opinion is no more valid than anyone else's. To each their own. ;)

You should absolutely stick to your taste :). It's just interesting, because a lot of people I know - including me - really like her :D.

Wishing wrote:
When it comes to miniatures, my order from RRG shipped on the 1st of August according to the email I got. How long does it usually take for a package from the US to the EU? Sheijtan is Germany-based, right?

I think for me it was about 3 weeks, if I remember correctly. My last shipment was a year ago. Yeah, should look for the next order soon :D. I am Germany-based. Where are you located?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:41 am 
Viridis

I'm in Denmark, so just north of the border. Thanks for the answer, I'll keep my fingers crossed that my package will arrive in a week or so, and won't get held up by customs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:02 pm 
Viridis

Well, I got a note in my mailbox today saying that the package did already arrive, and yes, I do have to pay import tax on it. Dammit. Oh well, at least it got here pretty quickly. Soon, I will have pretty pretty models to paint. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:36 pm 
Viridis

Alright, the columns and fences are done. I hope the colour of the sand matches reasonably well with the neoprene mats.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:06 pm 
Crudus

They look great! I have been stuck on models and haven't gotten any hazards done yet, but threads like this get me super psyched!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:44 pm 
Viridis

Cheers! It's the opposite for me, but hopefully I will get some models in a few days. I could also try to work on my Euryale stand-in. For some reason I feel a bit intimidated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:19 pm 
Viridis

Hooray! My models got here today. Rejoicement!

But I didn't realise quite how much bigger they would be than the GW and PP models I usually work with. I kinda imagined they would still be the same scale - but they totally aren't. Clearly a larger scale of model. Which means I can't really use any stand-in models - my Bloodwrack Medusa would look tiny next to all these giant gladiators!

Very interesting indeed. It means I can't use any (or at least not all) 28mm model parts when modifying these models, since the size won't fit.

Alright, I better get started assembling. Pictures to come when I get as far as to put paint on them...

Wow, some tiny joints here. Are Zahra's hands, holding metal weapons on really thin arms, really going to stay attached? They seemed to already come with tabs in her hands, so I didn't pin them. I pinned Mago's wrist and Ur-Keks blade though.

For now, the three Morituri starters and Medusa are assembled. I think Proximo next, then finish off with the Ludus Magnus.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:26 pm 
Viridis

Hooray so far! :D

P.S. When I wrote above that the models are bigger than I expected, the first models I had looked at were Medusa and Ur-Kek. The other ones are much more normal-sized. But Medusa is still so big, at least 9 feet tall comparing her to someone like Zahra, that Euryale will have to be of a similar body size to look natural next to her. So I guess I have to break out that putty and practice snake skin.

About Euryale... the main thing I don't like about the model is that her face looks sorta nondescript and with no real facial expression. I could fix that by doing a head swap, if I could find a suitable head - but I also don't like the fact that her body is wrapped around a column and therefore unbalanced off to the side. So I can't see doing anything to fix it, other than just make my own. I'm not a great sculptor, but I feel like it is worth giving it a go.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 539 Next