Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 539 Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:11 pm 
Noxius

I'm loving this. Those spiked columns are superb.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:36 pm 
Viridis

Thank you, I'm glad you like them. :D

I'm just about done with my first mini-conversion, which is adding a mask to Ur-Kek. I'm kinda happy with it like this, though we will have to see if it looks good painted too. I also drilled some holes in his axe thing because it was a bit too much flat empty space for my liking.

Someone also asked, on reddit maybe, if someone could take a picture of one of the pit templates that come in the starter boxes now. Mine came with this one. I like it, looks great to me.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:54 am 
Crudus

Haven't seen the pit templates yet. Looks great in my opinion :).

Also like the conversion of Ur-Kek! Very well done with the mask and the axe, even though it gives a very grim and dark feel to him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:11 pm 
Viridis

Sheijtan wrote:
Haven't seen the pit templates yet. Looks great in my opinion :).

Also like the conversion of Ur-Kek! Very well done with the mask and the axe, even though it gives a very grim and dark feel to him.

Thank you, I'm glad you think it works. There are worse things than grimdark in my view, I'm still a GW fan in my heart of hearts even though I like other games too. :D

I'm really happy just now as I just finished my first AR model.

Or almost finished, anyway. Taking pictures always reveals little flaws that need correcting. But I'm pretty happy with this little lady just now.

I would say that she is the flimsiest model I've ever had to assemble, but I've also now assembled Viatrix, and I think the honour may go to her.

I'm not 100% sure on the colour scheme - the Egyptian theme seems to scream for a light blue, but I couldn't do it, because I want the different ludi to have different main colours. Legio XIII are blue, so Morituri couldn't be blue too. Yellow felt mandatory to me, and I ended up trying for a subtle green as contrast colour. Which feels appropriate since their faction dice are green.

Mago and Ur-Kek are currently both all black, so I think I will paint them both up together.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:20 pm 
Crudus

Looks great! I dig her colors. The patterned strips in particular look excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:45 pm 
Viridis

Thank you, I appreciate your comments. The strips on her ribbons are of course borrowed directly from the official painted model in the webstore and on the cover of the box. It just looks too good to not use.

The green I was trying to work subtly into her palette is a kind of sea green. It should be much more prominent on Ur-Kek, who is in progress and currently looks like this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:20 pm 
Viridis

I have to say that I am painting these models faster and with more enthusiasm than I can remember painting stuff ever before. I think partially it's because every model is an individual character. I know I won't have to paint a unit full of models for this game ever. I can and want to lavish individual attention on them all.

Here be the master trainer Ur-Kek.

And him with his starter cohort partner in crime. Even though their schemes are a little different, I think you can still tell that they are connected colour-wise.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:32 pm 
Crudus

They totally read as being from the same faction. They look positively badass.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:08 am 
Viridis

If so, mission accomplished, thanks! 8-)

One thing I'm not so happy with is my choice of basing. I just did my usual thing on these models, which is the GW PVA glue and sand method. I think because the models are so finely detailed, the base should be less coarse as well. I should get either a finer grained sand, or some other method to make the ground look more realistic and less rough/jagged.

You do like a cracked earth paint on your bases for example, which looks great. I might try and use that, although I'm still thinking in sand, mainly.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:05 am 
Crudus

Those models look great! Really like the style, which to me have a little diry-sandy-look. Very nice!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 539 Next