Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1039 Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:33 am 
Crudus

I like what you did with Stheno! Especially the blindfold.
Might want to copy that! In fact, I did not like the model until I saw your small conversions!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:32 am 
Viridis

Thanks! That's how I felt - I thought the concept and artwork were great, but there was something about her head and face in the sculpt that didn't quite work. The main tweaks I came up with were to cut her head off and tilt it forward, so she's not looking up at the sky, and adding the blindfold and tongue.

The blindfold came from how she is holding up the severed head, making her look a little bit like lady justice holding up her scales, and justice is often portrayed with a blindfold, since justice is blind. Or something.

Alas the tongue fell off while I was drybrushing her skin. I might try and glue one on again when she is painted, or maybe I will just leave it off, I don't think it makes a huge difference.

Also, I keep going back and forth on Pseudo-Acerbus. Until last night, I was starting to turn him into a weird rhino-minotaur (rhinotaur). But now he is back on all fours. Creativity takes many twists and winding turns.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:33 am 
Crudus

Leaving the tongue away actually is something I like. I will definitely remove the tongue from the model.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:58 am 
Viridis

Well, you're in luck, the tongue on the real model is very small. :) The long tongue is one I tried to add with green stuff. But it fell off and now I'm leaving it off. So the painted model here just has her normal tongue.

Like so:

And Pseudo-Acerbus is actually getting to a place where I am happy with him too. At last. That was a hard road. Not done, but getting there.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:09 am 
Crudus

Stheno looks awesome, and that's a great rhino! Props to you for taking on the challenge!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:35 pm 
Crudus

Yeah. That rhino is looking pretty awesome. I already have two Acerbi (?... Acerbuseseseses?) ... but I'd pick that up as well if it existed. You should give him unique name and make a custom card for him, with the same stats as Acerbus is fine, but just for lore/fluff purposes. something like Karkadann, the mythical Persian beast... or Rocksteady

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:07 pm 
Viridis

Haha, thank you guys, you are really sweet. :D I'm glad you like him too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:36 am 
Viridis

I've taken a little break from miniatures in the last few weeks, but last night I started picking at my AR models a little bit again, after I got a chance to actually play the game for the first time.

Inspired by Gomez's wonderfully painted Acerbus, I decided to stick a bunch of broken spear hafts into the shoulders of my rhino too, so they look a little like spikes or spines sticking out of him. Two on one shoulder and three in the other. My thinking is that they have been stuck in there for a while, and just left there. If I paint them, and it doesn't look good, I can easily enough remove them again. I'll probably wait with more pictures until I get some paint on him.

Hroka is intimidating me, there is so much detail on her to paint. Caho-Ta is not so bad, and he is basecoated and highlighted and just needs some shading and washing. The Legio XIII models are coming along nicely too.

I'm wondering... if I want someone to play the Gorgon trinity as a cohort, who should I set them up against? I could make a squad of 6 gladiators from mixed ludi, but within a mono-ludus frame, I'm planning to get a fourth gladiator for my LM and Morituri. Then I could make a 6-card squad by taking four normal gladiators and adding either Proximo or Pseudo-Acerbus to them, to make six in all. Who could then fight against each other or against the Gorgons.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:01 am 
Viridis

Picture from my game. Not super sharp, but it gives an idea of what it looks like to play on the arena mat. My bases on the models and the hazards work pretty well with the palette, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:18 pm 
Viridis

Ready with some rhino-tastic action this time.

The last one to show how I kinda tried to emulate the artwork on the card, but didn't quite succeed. I also think maybe I can do the painting a bit better and more interesting, might go back and try to embellish it a little.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1039 Next