Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 3439 Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:18 pm 
Viridis

So I have spent all night painting and hobbying, and I like taking pictures, so here is more of the Helleniki deluge... :D

One "concern" with Antaeus for me is that him being naked is his prime distinguishing feature... but it means that there is nowhere, apart from his tiny hand patch, to paint his faction colour.

And I really like faction colours. Even though they really don't matter in AR, I still think it is fun and satisfying to give each ludus its separate unifoms, so I can tell which ludus a model belongs to from how I have painted it. I mostly like the official schemes, so have gone with:

LM: Red and brown
Morituri: Yellow and teal
Legio: Blue and white
Zephyri: Purple and green
Unaligned: Orange and brown
Helleniki: Teal and white

Antaeus just being the naked man would severely hinder my ability to colour him up (unless with some crazy warpaint, which I only thought of now). What I ended up doing is wrapping some rope and cloth around his forearms and shins. I figure that way, he is not wearing any clothes on his torso, retaining his naked man look, but I have some bits I can paint in non-skin tones, which would work as some kind of martial arts blocking armor stuff. Maybe? It would also bulk him up and make him look more buff, hopefully.

Result is currently like this:

And I got some more paint on Argos and Archie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:04 am 
Crudus

Those look really good!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:52 am 
Viridis

I'm glad you like them.

I feel like Theophania, Argos and Archidamos are the three normal models in this batch for me, which is why I am already painting them.

Dimitrios and Antaeus are more tricky. Antaeus because he is so modified with green stuff. Since I do not have expertise as a sculpter of muscles, there is a risk that he will look deformed and unnatural when he gets painted. Dimitrios I have given a gladiator helmet, one that does not look very Greek, but which kind of looks like he is wearing a fisherman's hat. I thought that would be appropriate, but it also looks a bit weird and dorky. So I cannot really decide if I like it or not. But I think I am sticking with it for now.

Telesto is also completely unmodified, but she is such an imposing centrepiece model that requires a very special paint scheme that I am sure I will leave her to the end. It will really be a challenge to replicate the amazing studio scheme.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:21 pm 
Viridis

Painting progryss.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:03 pm 
Crudus

I really like the unified look here - will be interesting to see how well Antaeus ties in. Also jealous of how fearlessly you attack converting these models. Your Antaeus in particular looks so much better with your additions to his face in particular.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:56 am 
Viridis

Thank you. I think sculpting something like a face is way, way beyond my skill, but adding small strategic bits of green stuff to especially the eyebrows can do wonders for changing a model's expression.

I am also really curious how Antaeus will fit in - we shall see soon, as I will probably start painting him tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:01 pm 
Viridis

This is what I got so far - Antaeus basecoated next to Argos.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:33 pm 
Viridis

I think I will consider the first Helleniki trio to be all done. They do look very uniform in their coherent scheme, which maybe is a bit boring... I might try and think of a way to balance coherency and diversity a little, not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:30 am 
Viridis

Looking these over, I do feel like the light blue/turquoise is maybe a bit too dominant. I think a little blood spatter here and there might work wonders, and I could see Argos with maybe some purple in his helmet crest.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:47 pm 
Crudus

I think they look exceptionally unified as is, but a little Blood for the Blood God spatter would also look great. The trick will be getting just the right amount without going over board...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 3439 Next