Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 129 30 31 32 3339 Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:36 pm 
Viridis

Yeah, it's not really supposed to be anything other than "spiky fence-like cluster of spikiness". :D I play a video game called Path of Exile that has a gladiator arena level, and that has some fence-shield-like obstructions in the arena, and I just took that basic idea and added more spikes.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:58 pm 
Viridis

I also took a round pit I had from earlier and tried to make it look like it is full of burning coals. I think it woks okay. I like having some centrepiece-like terrain to put in the arena centre.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:38 pm 
Crudus

I REALLY LIKE THIS!!!!!

Wishing wrote:
I also took a round pit I had from earlier and tried to make it look like it is full of burning coals. I think it woks okay. I like having some centrepiece-like terrain to put in the arena centre.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:23 pm 
Viridis

Cheers! In this particular spot in this arena, it is somewhat cosmetic, as the coal pit is sitting on top of another pit, so it doesn't really have a function. :) But cosmetic is fine by me. Most of what we do with models is done for the sake of aesthetics.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:28 pm 
Viridis

The Greeks are here, hurrah! Argos is first up. Maxmini gladiator head swap.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:56 pm 
Viridis

More Greek assembly and converting. First is Archie. His spear is long and bendy. I did not want to have to replace it with brass rod like I did for Sven, so I took another approach and simply glued it close to his body. Not sticking out unsupported means low bend and break risk.

The big project this time round though is the naked man of wrestling, Antaeus the Philosopher. His model is big - but his pose and facial expression didn't really work for me. Rather than look like he is walking forward very slowly to try and grab someone who is about to jump off a building, I want him to look like a hulking muscular monster, like Micon. I want him to look like he has a commanding physical presence. So I am going to try and dramatise his pose and beef up his muscles using arm swapping and green stuff.

This is an early work in progress.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:43 pm 
Crudus

SO EXCITED!!!!!

Wishing wrote:
More Greek assembly and converting. First is Archie. His spear is long and bendy. I did not want to have to replace it with brass rod like I did for Sven, so I took another approach and simply glued it close to his body. Not sticking out unsupported means low bend and break risk.

The big project this time round though is the naked man of wrestling, Antaeus the Philosopher. His model is big - but his pose and facial expression didn't really work for me. Rather than look like he is walking forward very slowly to try and grab someone who is about to jump off a building, I want him to look like a hulking muscular monster, like Micon. I want him to look like he has a commanding physical presence. So I am going to try and dramatise his pose and beef up his muscles using arm swapping and green stuff.

This is an early work in progress.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:50 am 
Viridis

Well, some people said that they didn't like that the Dimitrios figure is standing on his net. The good news is that you don't have to assemble it that way! Foot and net are separate pieces.

And of course, Theo doesn't call for any modification because she rocks. So here she just is with her buddies.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:47 am 
Viridis

One thing I also wanted to change about Antaeus is his facial expression. In the art, he looks mean and grumpy. On the model, he looks a little sad and hapless. So I tried to give him some angry eyebrows and close his mouth, like in the art.

Also Urien gets a gladiator mask with horns. Because I didn't like his face that much.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:50 pm 
Viridis

First, made another spiky hazard. I like symmetry. Snug fit with magnets.

Second, some paint on the Hellenic trio. I like the studio scheme used on Dimitrios and the symbol, so I am going to try and match that as well as I can. Started out with GWs Temple Guard Blue combined with white. Will be interesting to see if I like it as I continue...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 129 30 31 32 3339 Next