Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 739 Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:21 pm 
Viridis

Here's the shot of the rough shape so far.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:02 pm 
Viridis

Some more progress on snake lady.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:15 am 
Viridis

Does anyone think it's disrespectful towards the product and the company to create an alternative miniature to use instead of the official miniature?

I can sort of see that it is. With this being a very small game, playing it is to a large extent also about supporting the game and the company. And it's not supportive to come out and say that there's any models they make that you don't like. Supporting the company would be buying as much from them as you can and advertising them to your friends. With the rules being freely available, anyone could play Arena Rex with models from their Space Marine army if they wanted. We don't want that, because if everyone did that, then RRG wouldn't make any money, and they would stop putting out their great game. By the same logic, we don't want people making their own AR models either. We want them to buy the RRG models.

So I'm torn. On one hand, I want to support the company. On the other hand, I also want to be able to express myself creatively in the context of this game and not feel compelled to buy something I don't want for the sake of principle.

You occasionally get people making their own models or armies for Warmachine (another game I know well). If they look good, these are usually met with high accolades and praise from the community, because these projects are so original. I've done some of my own, and seen others do it too. When others do it, they often justify it by saying that they actually do own the official models for the alternative models they are making, or otherwise explain how many $$$ they spend on the company's product, to show that they're not just a leech whose motivation for making homemade models is that they don't want to pay the money and support the company whose IP it is.

I've never personally felt the need to justify myself like that. I've never actually felt morally compelled to support a company financially. I will spend money on a product if I like the product. But I won't spend money on a product just out of principle.

I guess it is partially because I started the hobby many years ago, with GW back when GW encouraged fans to build their own models out of things like deodorant dispensers. There was less encouragement to buy in order to play, and more an encouragement to play with the stuff you had already.

The modern non-GW approach of selling the model and its rules together as a package, that AR uses too, makes a lot of sense to me, and I like it. But there's still a part of me that occasionally kicks into action that goes "I would rather build my own version of that model than buy the one on offer". Which I then usually do.

Just some bloggy thoughts as I keep working on this model.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:31 am 
Viridis

Progress on monster-ish but still human-ish face. By far the hardest part has been figuring out the mouth. At the moment it seems to be a toothy snarl, but that's mostly because that's how it sorta turned out rather than being something I was going for.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:40 pm 
Viridis

I think Medusa is done too. I know she doesn't look much different than the pictures before, basically the bulk of the painting was done just by base coating, some drybrushing, and then some inking of the robes. The rest has just been tidying up really. I'm happy with the result though.

ImageImageImage

She's so tall. I look forward to seeing how big Stheno is next to her.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:24 am 
Crudus

Wow, she looks incredible. Really like the whole tone of the figure and the colors :).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:09 pm 
Viridis

Thank you Sheijtan. :D

Pseudo-Euryale is starting to look like something with paint on her I think. Not perfect in terms of what I had in mind, but actually better than I expected.

I think her size is pretty good. She looks slightly smaller than Medusa in terms of torso size, but that works out I think.

My main issue is with her mouth. I haven't painted it yet, but sculpting good-looking teeth proved an insurmountable task. I think I will have to see if it looks good painted, and if not, then I'll try and file it down and try the green stuff again and see what I can come up with.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:18 am 
Viridis

OK, Pseudo-Euryale is basically done.

ImageImageImage

I think her face looks OK the way it is now. But it's possible that I will go back and try and develop it a bit more later on. She could look good with a less human and more lizard-snake like face. Bigger teeth and such.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:30 pm 
Viridis

And a couple of group shots of all the models I have painted so far, in a fight-style setup with hazards. Fun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:31 pm 
Viridis

I also made a new and larger duelling ring. The old one I've decided to make into an area with a small column in the middle that living hazards can be chained to. I almost forgot that making my Proximo chainable was one of my goals.

ImageImage

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 739 Next