Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: The "Leo Sag"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:17 am 
Crudus

So after now about a 2 weeks, my leo has started to sag and is getting lower and lower to the base with the arms now touching the ground.

Any ideas on how to fix? It appears that the resin has been bending a bit at the ankle over time. He leg is not coming off the base, so the bend is in the model itself.

I am pondering drilling in a wire up through the leg to see if this will help. Any other options?

Post subject: Re: The "Leo Sag"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:09 am 
Crudus

Yeah, I'd think that supporting it somehow would be the only way to stop that. Going as far up the ankle/leg as you can is probably the least obtrusive way. Only other thing you could do would be add some sort of scenery element next to him, and pin him to that, or a piece of clear rod/pin under his chest.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:47 am 
Noxius

Resin is pretty brittle typically, it's odd that it is bending significantly without snapping. Do you store him in a warm place?

Pinning his leg should definitely help. I think Gomez posted a few WIP pictures of how to do it if you need a starting point. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:29 am 
Crudus

depends on the mixture of the resin really, it can be a bit rubbery sometimes. I have him propped up currently and we will see if the resin cures a bit more. If not Ill drill his leg and put a pin in, worst case I have some clear stands I will cut to size under his chest.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:05 pm 
Noxius

I just got Leo and his support leg is made of a different resin (lighter color) than everything else. I think that a stiffer resin was used to prevent sagging. Does anyone know if this is a new change to fix sagging issues? Do I still need to pin it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:36 am 
Viridis

I don't know, but it makes sense if so. When I got Caho-Ta, he came with both a resin leg and a metal leg, so I am guessing that early versions of him only came with a resin leg, and that the model had a sagging problem (Caho-Ta is also connected to the base by just a single foot at the edge of the base, similar to Leo although a bit less extremely).

So it seems to me that RRG monitor for this issue, and try to do something about it by casting heavy load-bearing parts in different materials when they notice that a model sags in its original composition.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:54 pm 
Viridis

I just got my own Leo and agree that the resin of the body and leg are a different colour. I decided to go with the pinning through the leg and into the hip to try and support the leg staying up (even though the pin can obviously bend too, so it's not guaranteed to work, but fingers crossed). Photo shows how I drilled through the back of the heel so I could run the pin through the base as well as into the body.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:21 am 
Viridis

I just experienced not a Leo sag - but a Stheno sag.

I have my models magnetised in the base, and keep them in metal boxes for storage. It seems like all during the heatwave for the last two months, Stheno has been placed on her side in her box. Because all her weight is placed on her thin resin ankle, she has sagged to one side, and is now totally lopsided.

Mission: Chop her up at the ankle and insert some thick metal rod to keep her upright...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:39 am 
Noxius

Experienced the same problem with my Proximo, blaming the heatwave as well :)
For Proximo readjusting the model's center of gravity fixed a lot already.
I think I would pin Leo tho, or maybe reinforce the chain in some way and use that as an extra support point?