Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:01 pm 
Noxius

A vaulting horse, or a vault would be my guess.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:19 am 
Viridis

Beautiful. I like vault. Thank you. If nothing else, it means I can photograph the mounted models without their mounts at an upright angle.

I just put in an order for Sereqet, who will then be my second mount. I need to get more magnets too. And I'm thinking that Zahra and Hroka can probably share the same vault.

Ywain would want his own custom vault though, considering the angle he is positioned at.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:11 pm 
Viridis

Yeah, when I first saw mounted Ywain, I thought that maybe he wasn't for me. But of course, now I am totally into him. Want.

Anyway. Scorpion. I am almost out of magnets, which sucks, because I wanted to buy some before my new Sereqet arrived. But I never did. So now I only have one strong magnet and seven weak magnets left.

I was going to just order new magnets and wait... but I cannot wait. Impossible. So I will make do with what I have.

That means one strong magnet and one weak magnet in Zahra, and two weak magnets in Sereqet. It's not super ideal. but it seems to work. I feel like multiple magnets are probably the way to go with the mounts. One magnet is not enough it feels like to me, because the riding model becomes wobbly. You need two contact points. Three is probably unnecessary.

You did just one central magnet though on your scorpion, right Dave? I guess it works if the magnets are strong enough.

Picture shows location of the two magnets in the scorpion. If I had planned better, I would have placed them further apart on either side of the thorax. I am stupid. But I think it will work.

Oh yeah, now I remember why I did it this way. Its because I wanted a central magnet in Zahra, so she can sit on the same wooden vault as Hroka. Smart.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:26 pm 
Viridis

Actually getting the magnets into Zahra was not easy, due to the fact that I put one of the magnets in her right leg, and her right leg is a separate piece. Fitting the pieces so she sits flush on the scorpion was tricky when I also had to deal with two magnets side by side that really wanted to attach to each other all the time.

I ended up having to glue and green stuff the magnets on the leg and body separately, leaving them to cure overnight, then pinning the leg to the body and then gluing it while she was attached to the scorpion, just to make sure it all fit together properly. A challenge. But a fun one.

Successful placement of magnets shown below. Multiple connection points means she won't wobble.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:28 pm 
Viridis

I like the name Desultarius for the vault, since the new real horse is called Dextarius, and the vault is only a superficial horse indeed.

He has more of a dragon-like head now though. Oh well. :D

And being ridden by his current mistresses.

Gotta get him painted soon.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:37 am 
Noxius

Looking good Wishing. Only one central magnet in my scorpion (which has been languishing in my unpainted pile for far too long). It's enough to hold Zahra on (upsidedown even), but she can tilt a little when knocked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:27 am 
Viridis

Thank you.

And yeah, there's just one magnet in Desultarius, and they sit fine on him. I just prefer a little more stability in terms of wobbliness when it comes to the model that will be used on the table.

I think even the smallest magnets are enough to keep the models together so they won't fall off when held upside down. They're pretty good like that. :)

Get to painting! Do you have other game miniatures that are distracting you? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:19 pm 
Noxius

I do.

At the moment Knight Models' Guardians of the Galaxy are sitting on my table, along with a fair bit of city scenery. A couple of friends have been hitting MUMG (and the DCUMG), pretty hard. AR is one of those games that I'll always return to, and I'll get a couple of models out the way in February.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:10 am 
Viridis

I think my magnetized Sereqet is at the point where I can say she is done.

When you look at her back, you can kinda see the magnets, but I don't think they stand out enough for it to be visually disturbing, certainly not when seen from the front as above.

Her rider is coming up, but will probably be a while... still haven't finished riding Hroka.

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 am 
Viridis

Finished the magnetized riding Hroka! :D

Last edited by Wishing on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next