Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1217 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:33 pm 
Crudus

MysteriousRacer_X wrote:
The amount of muscle definition you were able to articulate on Leo is absolutely stunning. I was pretty happy with how my Leo turned out, but your work is on an entire other level. Nice job, as always.

Thanks for the feedback!

It's funny - I've spent the last day or so looking at him and thinking I went a little too far with the musculature and debating if I should just go back to a khaki base and start over with a little more subtlety... It feels like in several spots on his flanks I didn't get his hide light enough before working in the definition. I tried to just sort of flow with the muscles that are there, but it feels a bit distracting TBH. Here are a couple more straight on shots for comparison:

What do you think? Too much light/dark contrast? Should I have another go at it entirely?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:22 am 
Viridis

I think it looks brilliant as it is. Very striking and eye-catching.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:17 am 
Noxius

It's a little much if you're goal is photo-realism, but I'd stick with it. It has a very cool comic-book feel to it now, and looks sinister as hell. Just a mass of muscles and sinew lunging out looking for blood.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:48 pm 
Crudus

This has been bugging me for days. I mean, I don't dislike what I've got going, but the definition "problem" has just been sticking in my craw a bit. So here's what I came up with...

(As usual, a little research has gone a long way for me).

Looks like I'm maybe not too far off - just need to work in some of the earlier layer paints to combine several of the separated muscles along the upper flanks into single larger segments. I think the ribs and legs are fine as they are (a little exaggerated, but they line up pretty well with the underlying structure) so I won't mess with those. Hopefully I'll have an updated (finished?) version this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:09 pm 
Crudus

UPDATE: Leo finished!

I went back in and toned down a few of the harshest light/dark transitions and, while subtle, I think it looks a ton better.

And, as always, the current gang...

Next up I have Gaius about 85% done (including the damage I need to repair) and I'm currently updating Snapjaw's (aka "Atrox") base... We'll see who gets done first.

Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:21 am 
Viridis

I agree, I think it does look subtly better. Very nice.

Your Leo looks to me like he is on a 60mm base. Is that intentional? His card says he is supposed to be on a 50mm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:48 am 
Crudus

Wishing wrote:
I agree, I think it does look subtly better. Very nice.

Your Leo looks to me like he is on a 60mm base. Is that intentional? His card says he is supposed to be on a 50mm.

I actual screwed up and accidentally mounted him on Nero’s base (and had to ask RRG for a new one when I went to mount Nero). I think it helps in terms of balance (both physical and visual) but it’s a pain to try to remember his actual base size while playing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:07 pm 
Viridis

I am way too OCD about stuff being "correct" to be able to mentally tolerate a non-standard base size personally. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:58 pm 
Crudus

Leo is really beautiful. He was great before the tweaks and the intangible push/pull you did really does elevate him. Good on ya for putting in the extra pass.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:29 pm 
Crudus

ripper.mcguirl wrote:
Leo is really beautiful. He was great before the tweaks and the intangible push/pull you did really does elevate him. Good on ya for putting in the extra pass.

Thanks for the kind words, rip. I think I’ve said it before in this thread, but these models have really inspired me to push beyond my normal comfort zone (slooooowly, but still).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1217 Next