Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 717 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:46 pm 
Crudus

UPDATE:

Marcus Furius - finished!

Here's the first model done on my quest to get four (or more) models done this summer. Pretty straightforward, though I do especially like the weathered oxidization on the shield.

As always, questions, critique, comments, etc. are all appreciated. Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:40 pm 
Crudus

I realized I never posted a team photo like I usually try to do...

Pretty happy with how they look all together (now if I could just work a little more quickly and consistently...).

Also, here are the next guys in line...

Leo has more or less been stagnant for months, but the others have both been worked on the past couple days. Acerbus in particular seems like he'll be pretty straightforward.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:15 pm 
Crudus

very nice work! What colors do you use for the flesh?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:15 pm 
Crudus

and also what colors for Leo? :) I am going to try to emulate yours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:50 pm 
Crudus

zreef wrote:
very nice work! What colors do you use for the flesh?

LOTS of different colors...

Plus lots of washes...

And that's probably not everything, but it's a start. Every model there is different. I typically pick a middle tone, then add shadows and highlights, then a variety of washes, then some more highlights. It's a really organic process that looks different for every model, but that's the basic overall idea.

Last edited by Gomez on Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:52 pm 
Crudus

zreef wrote:
and also what colors for Leo? :) I am going to try to emulate yours

TBH, I don't know exactly what I used to get that tone, but I know this is what I started with...

To that I added a variety of washes, and next I'll go back and add some highlights and build up from there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:18 am 
Crudus

Updated WIP pics...
Acerbus is coming along, but still has a ways to go. I'm doing a lot of up and down painting on him - build up highlights, wash/glaze over them, then add to them again. It ends up creating some cool effects IMO, but takes awhile (and it's easy for me to make things look a little too sloppy if I'm not careful).

I think Iason's skin is finished. I'm also trying for two tones of gold for him but not sure how I like it... I think the brighter gold of his shield and eye-plate (or whatever it's actually called) is done, but I can't decided if I think it works with the redder gold of the rest of his armor. Any opinions on whether silver armor would look better than the reddish gold?

And as always, critique, comments, questions, etc. are all appreciated. Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:58 am 
Crudus

As always: great work :). Enjoy seeing your figures.

I like gold combined with red. My Ludus Magnus is colored the same. And I used Blue/Silver for Legio XIII.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:16 am 
Crudus

Sheijtan wrote:
As always: great work :). Enjoy seeing your figures.

I like gold combined with red. My Ludus Magnus is colored the same. And I used Blue/Silver for Legio XIII.

Thanks!

I'm really partial to the red/gold combo (obviously) but someone on another forum pointed out that the bright gold/reddish gold/bronzed skin all make for a pretty monochromatic look... I think I might try his arm and shin armor as leather trimmed with gold then make all the other metal that brighter gold and see if that works better for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:57 pm 
Crudus

Those are all great ideas. The only other thing I can think of is to lighten some of the shadows in the darker areas of his skin. If you pale him up a bit, the gold will stand on it's own a bit more.
Beautiful work, though, regardless.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 717 Next