Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:48 am 
Viridis

I do have thoughts. ;) I don't think it has ever happened to me in practice, but as far as the rules go, it seems clear to me that yes, beasts are especially nasty as LMS's, because they get a clear turn, including the free Wild attack, and then they get to activate with full fatigue. Rampage!

I have personally been a bit sceptical about how destructive an LMS is, even when not a beast, so I have pondered some house rules for that (like here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42617).

But it doesn't seem to me so far like an LMS is ever unfair or game-distorting - they might do a lot of damage, but the player that has multiple models left seems to still win most of the time. So getting the LMS benefits lets the losing player go down in a blaze of destruction, but they still go down, in my experience. :)

(This is just based on my own experience, not any analysis of any data.)

So if I want to tone down the LMS in my games, it's just to make that final "Finish him!" phase of the game feel a little bit more toned down, and less of a berserker frenzy.

Honestly I might even be tempted to cut out the issue entirely and say that the winner of the game is whoever brings their opponent down to their last card first - wiping them out totally is not necessary.

But either way... not letting Nero, Acerbus or any other beast with two stages left become LMS should be high priority for anyone. :D

(In my work, LMS means learning management system. Weird to write this post with that abbreviation.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:17 pm 
Crudus

I appreciate your reply, Wishing - you have a much more analytical way of dissecting the rules than I do and I figured your take would be a good one.

Also, I put in a bit more work on Aemilia. Went ahead and gave her a little woad warpaint and added a nod to her ludus.

As always, any feedback is good feedback. Thanks for looking.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:24 am 
Viridis

That warpaint looks great and very characterful. She looks like a right savage. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:50 am 
Viridis

And yeah, I feel like you can read these rules on different levels. If you read them superficially, you mostly try and get a sense of what the general idea is, and you fill in the blanks with your own assumptions and interpretations. That's enough to get you playing and enjoy the game.

But if complex questions arise, and you want to be able to answer them, then you have to dig a bit deeper in terms of understanding, and I personally find that the only way I can do that is to be structured and analytical. Which means making lists of terms and flowcharts and that kind of thing.

The issue with this game is that, like many games before it, it's not always written in a very structured way (which is almost impossible to do with 100% accuracy), and this can sometimes make rules impossible to analyse accurately.

A good example of this is Spite vs. Aegis of Fame. Spite says that when it is activated, you make an attack. Aegis says that when you make an attack against Hermes, you have to pay a favor to be allowed to do so. So do you have to pay favor to be allowed to make a Spite attack against Hermes?

If you analyse it, then yes you do. The wording of what Spite does matches exactly with the wording that triggers Aegis. So Spite should trigger Aegis. But RRG, who wrote the rules, say that no, it's not intended to.

So analysis of the rules is all well and good... but sometimes you run into situations where reading them analytically doesn't yield the intended result. Sometimes the better approach is to ignore the analysis and just go with whatever your gut assumptions might be.

(I guess this is the classic "rules as written" vs "rules as intended" debate that I just for some reason decided to mansplain...)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:36 am 
Noxius

The complex, and often energetic, dissonance between the "rules as written" and "intent" modes of thought are well articulated there Mr. Wishing.

All considered, I think my group has had little difficulty navigating the rules by feeling out what seems most reasonable.

Not always correct, but we get it worked out by focusing on playing the game, rather than 'winning' per se heh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:31 pm 
Crudus

nakedpanda wrote:
All considered, I think my group has had little difficulty navigating the rules by feeling out what seems most reasonable.

Not always correct, but we get it worked out by focusing on playing the game, rather than 'winning' per se heh

This is absolutely true in Gomezland as well. The intent of the rules always seem to aim us toward a pretty clear, easy-to-reach consensus whenever we have a question.

UPDATE:
Aemilia done! Had a Vallejo squeeze bottle w/ a bit of a jam that ended up spraying her legs and base with a nice coat of gold that I had to fix, but overall pretty straightforward. Definitely like her cloak the best, and I think the woad painting is quite effective at arm's reach (looks a tad untidy up close TBH).

And here she is with her buddy Gaius...

As always, thanks for looking! Any feedback is appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:18 pm 
Viridis

I think they look super cool, very celtic and characterful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:34 pm 
Noxius

Aw jeeze, I should just throw my models away and start over hahaha

Your work looks excellent mate!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:12 pm 
Crudus

UPDATE:
After not painting anything for months, then messing around with some Infinity minis, I accidentally started on Anum...
I started by basecoating his skin, just to see what it would look like, then used some already mixed up brown to splash on the hyena fur, and then one thing led to another and here we are. Obviously still need to tidy up the hyena (this thing seriously needs a name) fur, need to do Anum's skin, need to replace the club that I ****ing broke off... So, decent start but still a lot to do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:44 am 
Crudus

UPDATE:

Anum finished.

As soon as Red Republic Games previewed this guy, I knew he'd be on my shelf - it just took a looooong time for me to get him finished.

Now here's my version of a Bestiae cohort...

And the entire crew...

Thanks for looking - I'd love to hear your feedback.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 Next