Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 517 Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:45 am 
Crudus

Looks really nice, though I am not a fan of the teal on the spiked columns, even though it is nicely painted. But I personally think it doesn't fit the theme.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:15 am 
Noxius

that's not teal, it's Verdigris!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:13 pm 
Crudus

I am a guy. I only see 6 colors ;).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:21 pm 
Noxius

think of it as copper rust

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:10 am 
Noxius

As a guy Verdigris isn't a color it's what happen when copper/brass is left outside and uncleaned for long periods of time.

I would however probably run a dry brush of a shiny copper color over the top of the metal posts. But that's just me, I do actually like them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:43 am 
Crudus

Cheers, guys - thanks for the feedback! Every comment is useful IMO.

I've also got a couple WIP shots of Leo. His face is essentially done, barring a few more glazes around his muzzle. Used TONS of reference photos which is new for me in this medium - with my minis I have pretty much just winged it but with this guy I wanted to make sure he looked reasonably authentic. Everyone has an idea of a lion, but there are tons of little things I would've left out if I didn't research a bit...

Next up is his mane, then on to the rest of his body.

Also, a tiny sneak peek of what I've got done on Hermes as well...

First try on a leopard pelt. Generally happy with it so far (thought it'll obviously need some touching up around the white fur above the belt and around the fringe) and it's given me the confidence to try some snakeskin armor on Viatrix whenever I get around to her. Oh, and the white spots are intentional, even though they don't look it - they stand out here more than I wanted them to so they may not be long for this world.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:22 am 
Crudus

UPDATE:

Leo - WIP

I know he doesn't look that different from the last WIP shot I posted, but I've got his mane done now. Tried to get a few different shades of brown in there to mimic the dark-to-light transition in older, more badass lions' manes and think it largely succeeded. Next is his pelt which is a huge hurdle for me... With the way I paint it'll take a while and I'm hesitant to start unless I know I can finish in one go, which means I keep putting it off. I've been planning to just take an evening and knock it out "next week" for about a month now. :oops:

Hermes - FINISHED
Finally have another model done! Huzzah!

This is one I wanted to get painted ASAP as he's my son's favorite fighter, but once I got started I realized I didn't like the sculpt as much as I thought I did originally. I guess more accurately, I didn't like painting the sculpt as much as I thought I would... In particular the arm wraps and armor plates with faces gave me fits, and I kept snapping off those little helmet plumes. Had fun with the leopard pelt, was really pleased with the red skirt, and I think the shield turned out just like I wanted.

And, like always, a little action shot...

Thanks for looking! Any feedback you've got would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:57 pm 
Crudus

UPDATE:

Another piece of terrain for my Arena Rex arena. Like all of the stuff I've done , it's pretty simple - these are taken right from GW's Brettonian Peasant Bowmen set. I doubled up the number of spikes just to give it a little more visual "presence", but other than that they're just mounted on a base and primed. I've got enough to make another one as well, but haven't started it yet.

And here's where I am with Marcus Furius...
I've got his skin mostly done, but still need to work on his eyes and facial scars - getting the latter to look right has been challenging because they're right up by his eyes and not easy to separate the two. His net is essentially done as well - just need a few touch ups on the highlights and it's set. Also, you can see I decided to put his shield to use rather than mount it on his back... I figure it could easily be strapped to the padding on his left arm and wouldn't interfere with his net action too much. And if you're keen-eyed, you might notice his trident is a little wonky - I snapped the end off TWICE while prepping him and had to trim both the staff and head, and now that join is as much superglue as resin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:52 am 
Crudus

Looks really great!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:41 pm 
Crudus

Forgot to add these...

I built these fences back when I was creating my arena and just recently got around to finishing them. They're just made from balsa wood, various plastic spear heads, and plenty of superglue.

Obviously models increase one fatigue level when they're pushed into hazards, and that should work for these, though I'm toying with the idea of adding another point of damage if the gladiator is pushed into them from the front, due to the spikes.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 517 Next