Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: German Review on Aquila
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:32 am 
Crudus

I just stumbled over the review (written in German) of Aquila by the German online-portal "Brückenkopf", a very well-known online-community focussing on tabletop hobby.

Aquila Review on Brückenkopf

Everyone enjoy the pictures. If you want, I can try to translate it in the upcoming days if people are interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:13 pm 
Noxius

Saw this posted on Tabletop Gaming News.

I read the comments and all seem to have the concerns I thought would be brought up. The price of the minis.

I defiantly do not mind paying for quality with so much mediocrity out there. However, I am not everyone.

I am not too aware of the costs of production but I wonder if it would be in RRG's interest to produce their miniatures in metal at some point? Maybe another material? Not sure how good trollcast quality is, the same Red Box Games uses. It's worth a look if RRG ever decides to venture into alternatives.

However, I would look very carefully into how the material represents the sculptor's finished product. Material used for seditionwars shrunk the minis considerably and softened the detail considerably compared to the metal and resin counterparts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:39 am 
Crudus

I have to say that I would not mind paying $23 if I only need five gladiators to play. That's basically still less than I have to pay for other games to set up an army not speaking of the effort of painting hundreds of figures.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:13 am 
Noxius

Sheijtan wrote:
I have to say that I would not mind paying $23 if I only need five gladiators to play. That's basically still less than I have to pay for other games to set up an army not speaking of the effort of painting hundreds of figures.

I agree with this - as long as the casting quality is high, I don't mind paying a bit extra for showpiece models. You'd really only 2-3 new models to change the synergy of your list, so unless you want to have the entire line (in which case you are a collector and should expect to pay a bit more) the total buy in cost is actually small. Of course I am comparing to GW prices, I know there are a lot of cheaper game systems out there, but not many can match the quality of sculpts that AR does.

... however, this doesn't mean I will condone GW-esque price shenanigans, RRG! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:43 am 
Noxius

As a german I can assure you that the "scene" is bitchy as hell. They always need something to complain about, and if they can't bad-mouth a miniature for its quality they are going for the price.

And than they go and buy something from Forgeworld for their overpriced Warhammer army so they can complain about the broken rules. Some people just don't want to be happy *shrug*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:26 pm 
Noxius

So Americans (some) are not alone.

Many people see to think everything in life should be on the McDonald's dollar value menu and expect to get Fillet Mignon.

You get what you pay for.

Don't get me wrong, their are some circumstances of price gouging out there. But American society seems to value quantity over quality then complain when it breaks in a few months or looks fugly.

That's why I make all my own furniture. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:03 pm 
Noxius

I have to say, I'm a little concerned with how bent the sword is, and that thigh gap isn't small.

Does anyone know if the base it's on will be the standard bases they're shipped with? It looks about 30mm, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:47 pm 
Founder of the Republic

The base for Aquila is 30mm.

The thigh gap is visible in the 360 rotation of Aquila as well. As it says in the review, though, it actually isn't that bad of a gap. It's pretty well set along the line of where the tassels fall, and If you are the sort of modeler who wants every join to be completely invisible, its actually very easy to fill. It actually feels smaller than it looks, if that makes any sense.

The sword pommel may be bent in some cases when you receive the model. Thankfully this is relatively easy to fix, here's a quick rundown if you aren't as familiar with resin models:
  • Run it under some hot water
  • Bend it back to straight
  • Let it cool
Tap water is usually hot enough for this process. You can either let it cool on its own or dip it in some cold water to "set" it if you prefer. The resin isn't like putty (or plastic) -- its isn't very impressionable when heated, just easier to bend, so no need to worry about fingerprints or anything. If you run into any difficulty once you have the figures, let us know, though!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:10 pm 
Noxius

Ah, didn't even notice it in the 360 until this article pointed it out. I guess they hit the right angle to really catch the gap.

Thanks for the tips!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:29 pm 
Noxius

RRG_walker wrote:
The sword pommel may be bent in some cases when you receive the model. Thankfully this is relatively easy to fix, here's a quick rundown if you aren't as familiar with resin models:
  • Run it under some hot water
  • Bend it back to straight
  • Let it cool
Tap water is usually hot enough for this process. You can either let it cool on its own or dip it in some cold water to "set" it if you prefer. The resin isn't like putty (or plastic) -- its isn't very impressionable when heated, just easier to bend, so no need to worry about fingerprints or anything. If you run into any difficulty once you have the figures, let us know, though!

First post and a quick related question, is the resin that restic stuff that Sedition Wars is made from?