Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Not easy being Tribune
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:00 pm 
Viridis

I played a game last week where I felt a bit bad for Tribune.

He attacked one of my models, and ended up with a fantastic roll. He got more than 6 net successes. And he started going down his damage tree.

But... then he got to the Exile box. As far as I can tell, Exile is not optional. You have to go through it, and you have to send the defender flying off into the distance, which you cannot follow up on.

The problem was that the player had no Favor left, so he could not pay the cost to resolve the remaining successes. So he ended up only doing 4 damage on an attack that would normally have done 11 damage.

You can obviously say that he should just have saved some Favor, which is true... but my point is more that I can't think of any other models that have an ability that can stop them from doing damage (I guess Lupa's Caveat Emptor comes closest). It made Exile feel more like a punishment for Tribune, not for his target. His target could go "Wohoo, the crazy guy with the axe saved my life by pushing me so far away that he could no longer reach me!"

Is Exile a drawback rather than a strength? I'm feeling like maybe making a house rule that it is optional to invoke, to make Tribune a little more appealing, since he isn't that strong in the first place to my eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:49 pm 
Noxius

I still have to put mine together and give him a run. But you could look at it as a punishment or plan carefully when using him. Always plan to have favor available when attacking or line up his attack so a model that gets pushed three inches ends up in a pit or by a living hazard.

I also think with Sanction the Exile ability makes him a very interesting counter attacking model.

When the attacker does not gain a net success against him he gets a favor which can be used for Exile.

Just my thought without really playing him. but again I can totally see where you are coming from and I myself could be very frustrated with him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:16 pm 
Viridis

Yep indeed - he is not unplayable by any means. I just find myself wishing he had a damage tree path he could take that didn't go through the exile box. Would make him a more versatile fighter and remove what feels like an unjustified risk of damage loss.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:06 am 
Viridis

Made a little house ruled version of his card to maybe use here at home...

Attachments:
tribune_1024x1024 house.jpg
tribune_1024x1024 house.jpg [ 57.85 KiB | Viewed 4980 times ]