Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Nero and Septimus
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:46 pm 
Noxius

Nero's Rush has no minimum movement requirement. So, as long as I shift .01mm I will get an extra success on my attack, correct? This feels scummy as I am used to warmachine's min of 3 inch movement for charges. On Nero's turn, when/why wouldn't you get an additional success on your first attack (after free move)?

If Nero and Septimus are used as the only models in a 3v3 cohort, do they qualify for benefits? I assume so because Nero is not a Gladiator (he is a beast). The Ludas Benefits state that if 75% or more of your gladiator models are from a particular Ludas then you qualify for the benefits, meaning beasts are ignored for this calculation. Septimus is my only gladiator in the Cohort, so: 100% of the gladiators in my cohort are Ludas Magnus.

Post subject: Re: Nero and Septimus
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:17 pm 
Viridis

Correct on both counts.

I agree that there is a mechanical "awkwardness" in Rush, because all it requires is that Nero has taken his free move action before he attacks to get the bonus. You don't actually have to move anywhere during such an action, I assume. So he can declare a move action, stand still, then declare an attack action, and get the bonus.

Similarly to Warmachine, though, declaring a move action does have a principal effect, even if you don't actually move. If Nero declares his free move action before attacking, then the model they want to attack can declare a move reaction, and just move away from him. As an example. And it means Nero can't use the free move to move away later.

But it still doesn't feel very Rush-y to not move before doing it. Take heart that at least it is only an option for Nero.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:53 pm 
Crudus

hmm that makes me want to order nero now lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:04 am 
Noxius

As pointed out by Wishing the declaration of a Move action opens a lot of options for your opponent with Reactions. It counters some of the Cheeseyness of moving just a little to get the Rush benefit.

Your opponent can move away or get an Opportunity Attack. In either case it can disrupt Nero and Septimus ability to attack.

As for the 75% of the same Ludus this works particularly well for Morituri lists... too well some would say. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:44 am 
Noxius

After some testing in 3 point 1v1 games, I have decided that Septimus mounted on Nero is an extremely fun and odd list. I love it. My games have gone differently every time so its hard to make any true conclusions yet.

The four games so far (my memory isn't the best but these are highlights):
Game 1) Septimus was pushed off almost immediately and killed shortly after. Nero went quite crazy and killed my opponents three models in just as many turns. He was put into phase 2 after killing one model I think. A bull in last man standing is scary. Especially when he is getting 2 favor for triumph and 1 from the damage tree in phase 2.

Game 2) Nero was put into phase 2 after just a single attack from my opponent. Septimus was still riding on top. *I see nothing in the rules to suggest that a rider is dismounted when their mount is put into the next phase* Nero proceeded to [star] Gore [star] two of my opponents into a near by pit.

Game 3) Septimus was forcibly dismounted by my opponent. Khepros (ignoring push resistance) pushe Septimus of of Nero and into a pit killing Septimus immediately. His remaining 3 models then made very quick work of Nero. I learned that even with titan status and ignoring the first push (for base size), you still need to worry about pits.

Bonus Game! (3 players at 3 points each)
Nero was downed very early as one of the players was just coming off of game number 1 (above) and was very upset with the bull (and convinced the other player the bull would be a problem). Septimus then got into the fighting and as the dust settled, decided to back out of the fight. My opponents seeing my single gladiator as not much of a threat decided to fight it out and then finish Septimus off last. Septimus then counter attacked (or survived the enemy attack and then activated, I forget) and pulled out the win.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:54 pm 
Viridis

That sounds really fun! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:57 am 
Noxius

Excellent! The big advantage you have is that with the Septimus and Nero combo in 3 v 3 battles is that you will be in clear turns every other turn as long as you stay mounted. This means Nero gets those wild attacks making him on mean customer.