Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:23 am 
Noxius

Hey all! Just started playing more of this fine game. I came to an interesting rules discussion last night. Hroka triggered her "War Cry" ability and all 5 of my other Gladiators near her were exhausted. Can they reposition? Is repositioning an action? The rules are fairly vague on that.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:49 am 
Viridis

Very interesting question. The rules are actually clear in my mind - reposition is definitely not an action, as it is not listed under actions. It is listed under "Damage tree results", so that is all it is, I guess.

So yeah, you should be able to do it, as I see - but I do think it seems a bit weird. Basically, they are using the reposition as a kind of pseudo-move action, so I agree that it feels intuitively like exhausted models shouldn't be able to do it.

So it's a very valid question of intent, I think.

You could make a similar hypothetical question about wild attacks, and tactics for that matter. If, for some reason, we imagine a beast still being exhausted during a clear turn - could that beast make a wild attack? Since it is not an action, yes, but it feels unintentional to me.

(Which is theoretically possible to engineer... say if you have two exhausted beasts in your cohort. First, you clear fatigue from both beasts. Then beast one goes wild and attacks Ur-Kek, defeats him, and he makes his Spite attack, attacks beast two, and pushes it into a wall. Now beast two would be ready to make its wild attack, but is exhausted at the same time.)

So... we know from the FAQ that models may not declare actions once they are exhausted, even if those actions do not cost fatigue. The follow-up question here is if exhausted models are allowed to do the other stuff that involves moving and attacking, but which are not technically actions.

I think that as written, yes they can, since nothing technically disallows it, but it would be nice to confirm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:23 am 
Crudus

I would agree that even exhausted they would benefit from War Cry. and in my brain the first thing I thought was that is the exact purpose of a war cry in real battle is to get you exhausted and broken troops moving

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:33 am 
Viridis

Yeah, that's a pretty nice interpretation. :) And it wouldn't bother me at all if all these non-action activities are allowed while exhausted. I just like having a mental guideline for how the rules are intended to work. Right now I see two options when it comes to exhaustion.

1. When you are exhausted, you can't do anything.
2. When you are exhausted, you can't declare actions or reactions, but you can do everything else.

I assume the correct option is 2, but since I hadn't really thought about it before this question was asked, it feels right to check.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:51 am 
Crudus

If you want to write up an official question laying out all of points I will submit it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:58 am 
Noxius

Thanks so much for the replies guys. For sure makes more sense RAW

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:04 pm 
Viridis

I actually already emailed Walker asking, you never know, maybe he will answer. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:51 pm 
Crudus

I hope he does soon!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:20 am 
Viridis

Walker has answered, and says that 2 is indeed the correct answer.

2. When you are exhausted, you can't declare actions or reactions, but you can do everything else.

So exhausted models can reposition, use tactics other than Maneuver, do wild attacks, etc. No problems.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:27 pm 
Crudus

This may have already been resolved, but I just want to put in my two cents as a Zephyri player -

When I use Hroka's war cry, I do say the reposition can be anyone, even if they're exhausted, but only Hroka removes the fatigue. The other models stay exhausted.