Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Generating favor vs Otho
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:53 pm 
Noxius

Models such as Leo and lupa have wording that says "when this model makes a wild attack it generates a favor that must be added to the attack roll" as well as "when this model upgrades an attack to a power attack it generates a favor dice which must be added to he attack roll.

Othos rules say that models cannot spend or earn favor from tactics or traits that are not from that models vitality track.

My question is the favor die added to lupa and Leo's are generated not spent so does this bypass otho's mentulus rule since it isn't earned or spent but instead generated? Or this considered to be spent favor and negated by otho?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 am 
Viridis

Good question. Personally, I read it as though those abilities do work against Otho. That's because neither ability mentions the spending or earning of Favor. It says that Favor is generated and Favor is added, but not spent or earned. And Otho says that you are not allowed to spend or earn Favor.

It's the same reason I assume that those abilities are not restricted by the two Favor spend limit that a fighter has. Since the Favor is just generated and added, not spent, it seems to me like Lupa can both spend her normal two Favor, and do a power attack to get a third Favor dice added, for a total of three Favor dice in the attack.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:55 am 
Viridis

Mysterious Racer seems to have the opposite opinion according to reddit (where the question is crossposted), so would be interesting to see what others think too. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:09 pm 
Noxius

Yea I posted the question in both locations because the posts time on the forum were last in January. So I did both to be sure. Its really just the wording saying generate a habit that must be added to the attack rather than, this model earns a favor which must be added to the attack.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:55 pm 
Viridis

Activity levels vary in both places... there was a time when people were posting here every day, and the reddit was very quiet. Nowadays the reddit has a little bit of activity now and then, but nobody posts much here. Seems a little random, but hey.

To me it seems pretty clear - Otho's ability is that when you say "I will spend favor", he says "No, you cannot". He prevents you from making that choice. With the auto-favor abilities, there is no choice involved, it just happens automatically. That seems to me to be why Otho says you cannot earn and spend (voluntary actions), and the auto-favor abilities say they generate and add (automatic effects). Meaning Otho doesn't prevent them.

But that's just an interpretation - it is possible the intent was otherwise. It's always possible that the intention was different with any interpretation of any rule. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:23 am 
Viridis

And the three main sections of the forum have all had activity within the current month, so you can help keep it active by writing and commenting. :)

I know people think forums are a dying format. It's a shame though, it's a format I really like.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:51 pm 
Noxius

I also like the forum format. More structured for this style of communication than things like reddit or Facebook. Just dont lole the idea of having to post on 3 locations for one question lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:32 pm 
Crudus

I, too, prefer forums. It may be a generational thing, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:38 pm 
Crudus

I think they are I was excited about a forum but when I get her it is a literal virtual ghost town

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 am 
Noxius

Not the initial reason for this post - but my only issues with forums is that I easily forget to check them regularly. With Reddit, I'm there anyways, so when something AR related is posted, I know right away and can check it out. I definitely think there is room for both, and more (like dakkadakka and the facebook groups)!