Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: What is a Rampage?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:26 am 
Viridis

I was just looking at Acerbus and got to wondering. On his card, it just says:

Rampage - Cost: 1 Fatigue. This model moves 3 inches. [Plus more stuff.]

What is this rampage? The fact that it costs a fatigue makes me feel like it is meant to be the same as the main thing that normally costs one fatigue, an action. So when he activates, he can take a move action, an attack action, or a rampage action.

But it doesn't say that anywhere, so I'm just assuming it. You could also say that it is a "special ability" that can be used at any time, like during a clear turn.

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: What is a Rampage?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:42 am 
Noxius

i see it as a standard action that just takes fatigue to activate, so it can activate 2x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:59 am 
Crudus

Good question. Rampage is not the only ability worded like this. There is also Thoth's Necrosis, and Sulla's Dictate.

Some special abilities clearly state what they are. For example, special tactics and reactions are specified. (I.E. Sulla's Exploit-tactic; Ywain's Rebuff-reaction; Ban-Luca's Stall-reaction)

Rampage, Necrosis, and Dictate are not tactics and they are not reactions, otherwise the it would say that they are. So to me that only leaves actions, which are only used on the active turn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:48 am 
Viridis

Yeah, I also assume that it's meant to be an action.

But you bring up an interesting point. Dictate is worded in exactly the same way. And Walker has told us that Dictate can be used on a clear turn too. Quote: "Dictate is beneficial during both Sulla's activations and during a clear turn." Source: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38501

So... yeah. Rampage and Necrosis on clear turns? I have no idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:59 am 
Crudus

Thanks for the link, I had not read there was an official word from Walker on Dictate.

That changes my opinion then. It seems like Rampage, and Necrosis would then also be able to be used in the clear turn or active turn, as the wording is the same as Dictate. Just pay the cost.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:05 am 
Crudus

I think Dictate is the exception because it deals with Tactics (I wasn’t a big fan of the ruling that you could use Dictate during clear turns to begin with...)

To me Rampage and Necrosis are special abilities that require the model in question to be activated in order to gain access to them (they are not Reactions, they are not Tactics, and they have a cost).
If we allow Necrosis on a clear turn, then Thoth will be able to do it every clear turn. Which seems a little much.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:23 am 
Crudus

Even assuming Thoth can use Necrosis every clear turn, wouldn't he just be perpetually exhausted after?

The way I read the clear turn rules, you must remove all fatigue before you can use tactics or do anything else. So Thoth would start the clear turn exhausted, and remove it all thanks to Will of Antony. Then pay 2 fatigue for Necrosis, and then have to wait until the next clear turn to do it again. All the while he is sitting there exhausted on the following standard turns. That doesn't seem too terribly overpowered to me.

Last edited by KaptainWalrus on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:37 am 
Viridis

I think I agree with you both. I was arguing that Dictate was an action only, and was surprised at the word that it was intended to be useable on clear turns too.

But if it is, then Necrosis and Rampage must be too, as it is written anyway. Unless we are missing something.

It could also just be that it is an oversight that the three abilities are all worded the same, and the intention is that Dictate can be used on a clear turn but the other two can't.

Even if it feels weird, I agree with Walrus though that I don't see anything problematic about allowing Rampage and Necrosis on clear turns. Just seems not intuitive - like the Dictate thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:11 pm 
Crudus

Send Thoth in to pretty much take all models within 3 inches of him out of commission. Bring Ur-Kek or Khepros for his protection fatiguing then with a Reaction on anyone that comes at Thoth.
Use Jocasta or Tiet Khebi for Power attacks or double attacks on the models that Thoth fatigued so they can’t react.
It’s a clear turn again... freeze them again.
Add a Titan Beast for more clear turn shenanigans.

I agree it isn’t OP... but seems like more advantages to a faction that already seems to be favored.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:00 pm 
Crudus

Quote:
I agree it isn’t OP... but seems like more advantages to a faction that already seems to be favored.
This is a good point I definitely agree with. The fact that Morituri benefits are the only ones to not specify faction gladiators makes me a bit salty.