Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:00 am 
Viridis

So this chart is a little more cluttered, but I think it is more accurate, and includes, I hope, all the abilities you found.

So Taunt, Fade and Protective all work the same in that they trigger when the attacker declares an attack while engaged with a model with the ability.

Retaliate, Sanction and Inevitable all work by triggering off an attacker's ATK roll scoring zero net successes.

(Caveat: It bothers me a little that in this interpretation, Inevitable doesn't work with counterattacks, because then it seems to me that there is no reason for Stheno to have Desultory. Which makes me feel that this interpretation is wrong. But if the principle is that a counterattack only becomes an attack once it has scored successes, then I don't see any way around it.)

Envenom and Spectacle seems to both trigger off any damage from any attack.

Valor here triggers off attack damage, but only if the damage is applied to the defender, not if it is applied to the attacker.

How about Leika? We could fit Snare in here too, along with Taunt and co.

Edit: Dammit, I forgot that the abilities were supposed to be bubbles...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:32 am 
Viridis

While we are waiting for an official RRG response, I can copy and paste some unofficial answers I got from Walker in email that are related to this whole "Anatomy of an attack" topic.

Q: Can you upgrade a standard attack to a power attack after attacker and defender have added favor dice to the upcoming roll?
A: As written this timing is probably more fluid than it should be. Yes as written, updated wording will be discussed.

Q: If I make an opportunity attack against Ywain, and get 0 successes, will Rebuff trigger? What about if I get 1 success and the damage is absorbed by his armour?
A: Yes and Yes. Note that the attacker gets to apply their pushes first.

Q: If Sereqet successfully counterattacks, can she use Envenom?
A: Yes

Q: If Ur-Kek makes a Spite attack against Hermes, does Aegis of Fame work against it? How about if I use Ambush against him?
A: No in both cases. Spite may get some adjusted wording that could impact this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 am 
Crudus

Seems we have been pretty accurate with our thoughts on how these were intended to be played.

Quote:
Q: If Ur-Kek makes a Spite attack against Hermes, does Aegis of Fame work against it? How about if I use Ambush against him?
A: No in both cases. Spite may get some adjusted wording that could impact this.
Interesting, this seems to be one I was wrong about, thinking Aegis did trigger vs Spite. The fact they would consider re-wording is nice as well, and shows recognition for the slight ambiguity.

Thanks again for providing the updates.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:22 am 
Viridis

That's the thing... we have the classic two "reflections" of the rules that we have to work with, as is always the case with games like this. We have 1) the interpretation we can make from just reading the rules, and we have 2) the intention behind the rules that only talking to RRG can provide us insight into.

Just from reading the rules, Spite clearly triggers Aegis. Spite says make an attack. Aegis says it triggers when someone makes an attack.

But, as I always "felt in my gut", despite what the rules say, it's not the intention of RRG that Spite should trigger Aegis.

Our interpretation was not "wrong" per se. We based our interpretation on what it says in the rules. RRG didn't write anything into the rules that showed their intention about how Aegis and Spite should interact. So we had to analyse, and make a well-reasoned guess. Our guess was wrong - but that's because we were guessing blindly and only had something that turned out to be irrelevant - the core rules - to go by. Our analysis was sound. :)