Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:25 pm 
Noxius

Had a bunch of people out on a cold and rainy Wednesday playing some games and some interesting issues came up.

1. Is a counter attacking figure affected by Taunt? We figured no as the reacting figure is not declaring an attack.

2. Zahra's 3" engagement range; can she attack a target through a friendly figure if the target is within the three inch engagement range? Can she attack a target through an obstacle? There doesn't appear to be LOS rules in Arena Rex so we said yes and allowed it but since you cannot move through friendly figures (except Legio) we thought if it blocks movement it would block the attack.

That's it for now! Looking forward to people's thoughts!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:41 pm 
Viridis

I would agree with both your assessments.

The second one I have asked myself before, and we came to the conclusion that since the rules don't specify, nothing other than distance prevents attacks in this game, so Zahra can attack anyone through anything using her 3" reach. Unless you wanna house rule that your hazards are special and so she can't attack through them. (There are no obstacles in this game, only hazards.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:06 pm 
Noxius

Correct on wording... hazards not obstacles.

I am less concerned with attacking through hazards but more concerned about attacking through a wall of friendly figures. This means, essentially, Zahra will always have an additional success as she will "push" the target figure into a friendly.

Again it could exactly be how that works but the why can't friendly figures move through each other.

We will play it as rules provide but hope for a little clarification.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:48 am 
Viridis

Ah, you mean that Zahra will run around near a friendly model, and when she attacks an enemy model with her 3" whip range, she will make sure that her friend is in between them, so she can pull the enemy model into her friend and gain an extra success that way?

Yep, that seems like a totally legit tactic to me. One of the tricks she can do that nobody else can. :) I gotta remember that one. I guess it gives her a bit more protection, since she can both do an effective attack and ideally remain safe behind a line of friendly models ready to react. But then again, she doesn't have many damage points in her damage tree, so her attacks won't be that powerful.

The only reason that models can't move through other models and hazards is that it says so in the rules for the move action. "Models may not move through hazards or other model’s bases."