Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:56 am 
Viridis

We have discussed this issue before, I thought maybe it should have a thread of its own. On facebook, someone wrote this not so long ago.

"Talk about ruining things, I want to run a beastmaster list, but with the whole titans for days and not much pushing going on, it's not much fun for your opponent when they can't make use of pretty much any lethal terrain, so I just stick to my typical Mycon n' friends or Morituri lists."

The background: That the rulebook says that titans cannot be placed or pushed. Ever.

As the quote above suggests, this can be a problem. Not for the titans - they are very happy about it. But for the overall enjoyment of the game. The quoted player reacts to this by simply choosing to not play his titan list. Which sucks.

The reason for this is that pushing is normally a huge part of the game. The whole reason to have terrain in the game is 90% for the fun of pushing models into them, to exhaust, damage, or defeat. Positioning is so important in this game because of how effective it is to push enemies into hazards and into other models.

So if you take a cohort of all titans, which is very easy to do, especially with Anums bestiae*, then your cohort is immune to pushes. Your opponent can look at all the pushes in the damage trees of his models and sigh, since they will not be used in the game. And your opponent can do the same. Then you both sit there sighing.

A game of titans vs. titans may as well not have hazards in the game, since all the hazards mean is "you cannot stand your model here". But nobody has to worry about any of their models being pushed into anything. The game just becomes about doing damage by rolling dice with attacks. It loses that whole positioning aspect which normally adds that extra dynamic feel to the game.

So. I'm thinking that I might suggest to my own little group a house rule. Instead of:

"Titans resist all pushes and may not be shifted or Displaced."

Saying:

"Titans may not be shifted or displaced. Titans always resist one push from all attacks, and resist an additional one push from attacks made by non-titan models, in addition to the normal resistance."

Basically I want to make push resistance into a variable number rather than just "none", "one" and "infinity".

Basically, as the rules are now, a model with a large base size gains push resistance (1) against all attacks from models with smaller base sizes. Cool. Titans just have push resistance (infinity).

What I thought would be more fun would be if titans had a default of push resistance (1). When attacked by a non-titan, they gain push resistance (2). If that non-titan also has a smaller base, then the titan has push resistance (3). Where the number indicates how many pushes they resist.

So if Acerbus attacks Nero, and scores three pushes, Nero would be pushed twice.
    If Euryale attacks Dextarius and scores three pushes, again, pushed twice.
    If Stheno attacks Dextarius and scores three pushes, Dex is only pushed once (because Stheno is not a titan but they are the same base size).
    If Zahra attacks Dextarius and scores three pushes, Dex is not pushed at all (because Zahra is both not a titan and a smaller base size).

But! Zahra *could* have pushed Dex, if she had scored one more push. The important thing here is that the titans are tough to push, but they are at risk. Especially if they are exhausted, since that gives opponent an extra push against them, which helps to overcome their resistance.

It is a little more number-crunching in terms of calculating resistance. But I feel like it would make titans more fun to play with if they could be pushed somehow. And not only by other titans, which was my original idea. Because then you just devolve into all cohorts needing to field a titan so they can push other titans.

Sorry for how long this is. It is just an idea for a house rule. Opinions and comments welcome.

* I know Anum himself isn't a titan, but he can just hang back out of harm's way, or at least not near any hazards.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:54 pm 
Viridis

Of course, you could also drop the non-titan thing and just say that all titans automatically resist one (or two) extra push(es). The point is just to make them more resistent, in line with the design intention, but not immune.