Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:17 pm 
Noxius

I hadn't thought of this while playing on the official mat, but recently we got in a game in a 3D arena and it occurred to me we'd never played the edge of the ring as a wall before. Is it supposed to be considered a hazard that will fatigue models pushed against it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:51 pm 
Crudus

That's how I usually play it... the edge is a hazard and will Fatigue you.
If we are feeling a bit sadistic we use a dungeon/pit themed arena where some areas of the edge have spikes and are actually Wounding Hazards.
When we are feeling like getting a little crazier we play on an elevated 24" octagon and the edges are all Pits (Lethal Hazards)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:48 am 
Viridis

I certainly always assumed so myself. I don't think the rulebook discusses it because it's a question of terrain, and the rule for terrain tends to be "do whatever you want". But it makes sense to have a default principle for using the official game mat.

I guess there are only three options when it comes to "edge of the map".

1. There is no edge or it isn't relevant - play on a large unbounded area and/or never reach the edges.
2. The edge is a line that you can't move across, but it doesn't give you fatigue to be pushed into it.
3. The edge is treated like a wall, i.e. a hazard, so you get fatigue from being pushed into it. Or, like Ridiqles mentions, it could be a wounding hazard (it's a spiky wall), or a lethal hazard (it's a drop in elevation).

I think 3 makes more sense than 2 in the case of the official playmat, since it looks like a solid arena wall, and since a solid wall placed inside the arena would usually be considered a hazard.

For a different kind of play area, I guess 2 would make sense if you imagine that the edge of the play area isn't a solid wall, but is rather a mass of spectators. Then you could argue that they stop you from running away, but don't cause fatigue.