Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Mountable [Wild] Beasts
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:37 pm 
Noxius

Some Beast & Wild related clarifications I'd appreciate.

1. Have not been able to determine if there is a distinction with Beast models which can be mounted, such as Dextarius w/ riding Ywain, whether or not they are...

A. always considered Wild.
B. only Wild when UN-mounted.

2. Wild Beasts will attack friendly models if they are nearest. Correct?

3. Does a Beast that is mounted make any difference? IE: Is it considered "controlled by the rider" and NOT Wild while mounted?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:49 pm 
Crudus

Gladiator Squirrel wrote:
Some Beast & Wild related clarifications I'd appreciate.

1. Have not been able to determine if there is a distinction with Beast models which can be mounted, such as Dextarius w/ riding Ywain, whether or not they are...

A. always considered Wild.
B. only Wild when UN-mounted.

Always considered Wild. Per the Rulebook (PDF V1.10 pg 13):
"Mounts making a wild attack will not attack their own rider while that model is mounted." So they still make a wild attack.

2. Wild Beasts will attack friendly models if they are nearest. Correct?

That's correct. Whichever is the closest models gets hit. Friend or foe.

3. Does a Beast that is mounted make any difference? IE: Is it considered "controlled by the rider" and NOT Wild while mounted?

See #1. Always wild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:41 am 
Noxius

Thanks for the quick reply! So as I understand it, it'd be fun to knock the riders off and see them get attacked by their own mounts, eh? :lol:

While we're on the topic, I've got a couple more questions:

1. Pushing a rider off his mount would require a minimum of two pushes because of the larger base push resistance before he actually gets knocked off, correct?

2. I found a link posted by Wishing within the "Going Wild" forum thread and it indicated that Wild Beasts that are also Last Man Standing do indeed benefit from their Wild attacks in addition to the LMS. Is this still accurate or has that been ruled differently?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:59 pm 
Crudus

Thanks for the quick reply! So as I understand it, it'd be fun to knock the riders off and see them get attacked by their own mounts, eh? :lol:

Yes, it can be done... but it's a little more difficult than just pushing the rider off. Per the Rulebook on "Clear Turn" (PDF v1.10 pg 5) "... After you have removed Fatigue, you may also use Tactics, a rider may Mount or Dismount, and Beasts in the cohort go Wild. The order in which these occur is determined by the active player."
So as long as the rider is in base contact with the Beast, which it should be if it was just pushed off, the active player could simply choose to have the rider Mount prior to the beast going Wild.
So for it to work you'd have to get the rider to be out of base contact but still be the closest model to the Beast.

1. Pushing a rider off his mount would require a minimum of two pushes because of the larger base push resistance before he actually gets knocked off, correct?

That is true if the pushing is being done by a model with a smaller base. It is possible to have another Beast of equal or larger base size do the pushing, in which case one push should suffice to knock the rider off.

2. I found a link posted by Wishing within the "Going Wild" forum thread and it indicated that Wild Beasts that are also Last Man Standing do indeed benefit from their Wild attacks in addition to the LMS. Is this still accurate or has that been ruled differently?

As far as I know, It is still true. Every turn is a clear turn during LMS and all (non-Beastiae Ludus) Beasts go Wild during a clear turn. They also get to activate at the end of the clear turn because of LMS.
Don't let your opponent have a Beast as its LMS.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:53 am 
Viridis

RidiQles wrote:
Yes, it can be done... but it's a little more difficult than just pushing the rider off. Per the Rulebook on "Clear Turn" (PDF v1.10 pg 5) "... After you have removed Fatigue, you may also use Tactics, a rider may Mount or Dismount, and Beasts in the cohort go Wild. The order in which these occur is determined by the active player."
So as long as the rider is in base contact with the Beast, which it should be if it was just pushed off, the active player could simply choose to have the rider Mount prior to the beast going Wild.
So for it to work you'd have to get the rider to be out of base contact but still be the closest model to the Beast.

Plus the active player could use the Maneuver tactic first to move either the beast or rider, either into base contact or further apart. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:21 pm 
Noxius

When pushing a rider, you place them b2b with the mount then resolve the 1" push, so they won't be b2b without a maneuver tactic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:46 pm 
Crudus

LunarSol wrote:
When pushing a rider, you place them b2b with the mount then resolve the 1" push, so they won't be b2b without a maneuver tactic.

Oh... you are absolutely correct. Guess I never really noticed the last portion of that sentence in the rules (PDF v1.10, pg 14).