Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Reaction: Move
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:27 pm 
Noxius

Is this legitimate?

Attacker Moves into engagement range of an enemy model. Enemy model performs a Reaction: Move - in order to disengage from the attacker.

We don't see anything that obligates that defending model from having to stay in that engagement. Rather, this seems like an option to disengage albeit typically gaining a fatigue but with the benefit of forcing the attacker to decide whether or not to pursue (at a cost of fatigue to himself).

Post subject: Re: Reaction: Move
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:43 am 
Noxius

Yup, the only trigger for a move reaction is that a move action takes place. The downside, of course, is now that model is out of the fight, fatigued, and your reaction for the round is used up, potentially leaving an ally open to an attack. I've used this a bit for the first few rounds as the engagement sets itself up, but once multiple models are engaged, I think the reaction is better served as a counterattack or an assist.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 pm 
Crudus

Yea, about 90% of my move reactions are used for getting my cohort into position while my opponent is moving up, but there are some pretty nifty movement reactions you can do. For example, react-moving with Viatrix to get her in position to taunt an enemy model, leaving the otherwise-would-be-attacked model ready for stuff next round. Or moving Otho Mentulus into range too, to prevent an opponent from spending favor. There are some other little things too, but those are what came to mind right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:32 am 
Viridis

Reacting to what your opponents are trying to do is where a lot of the tactical depth in the game comes from, I reckon. If my opponent is trying to attack one of my unfatigued models, I have lots of options of what to do. Like Racer suggests, usually my choice will be to counterattack instead of running away, because counterattacking should hopefully negate the incoming attack. But running away is also an option, if you would rather be somewhere else - but unable to act next turn. I guess this might be an attractive option if you are standing right next to a hazard. :)