Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:36 am 
Viridis

Just a kinda weird scenario that the rules as written seem to support.

I have Sven and Ur-Kek in my cohort.

1. Sven is pushed into a pit (lethal hazard) by an opponent. Ur-Kek is standing about 6" away.
2. The lethal hazard triggers and removes all of Sven's vitality.
3. I choose to trigger Sven's Disengage instead of gaining Favor.
4. Sven takes a Move action and moves towards Ur-Kek.
5. Sven, still having no vitality, is now defeated. Because I moved him towards Ur-Kek, Ur-Kek can now drink his sweet life force with his Consume Essence ability.

Kinda weird, since the reason for Sven having lost all of his vitality is supposed to be that he fell into the pit, which is far away from Ur-Kek.

Can anyone think of any reason why this wouldn't work?

If we wanted to fix this minor quirk, my suggestion would be to add a clause (slash house rule) to the lethal hazard rules saying that once you touch it, in addition to losing all your vitality, it also prevents you from moving for any reason until you are removed from play.

This is if we want the lethal hazard to feel like something you die because you fall *into*. If we see it as a thorny bush that is covered in deadly poison, then the above scenario is thematically acceptable - but since the AR starter includes a pit template, I feel like we are mainly working with the idea that most lethal hazards are pits. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:16 am 
Crudus

Here is my take:.

You could move Sven near Ur-Kek as described, however Ur-Kek would not be able to use Consume Essence, unless the pit where Sven fell is within 3 inches.

The rules for lethal hazard state that you are "defeated" upon touching the hazard. Then you mark off the damage boxes, and resolve any effects (i.e. Disengage), prior to removing the model. Since "defeated" is the key word triggering Consume Essence, I would say that unless Ur-kek was within 3 inches of the pit where Sven fell, then Consume Essence doesn't trigger.

I had similar but, different situation occur in a match involving Gaius Pallidus, and ironically, Ur-kek. Gaius was pushed into a pit by Ur-Kek. So Consume Essence would have triggered. However, Gaius Pallidus is Undying, so he was "not" defeated, thus no Consume Essence. But then the question came up: Where do we put Gaius, when he comes back? Does he start where he was defeated? Which would be the pit, and would he would immediately be defeated again (and trigger Consume Essence)? Or does he start say "near" the pit, but not in base contact so he is "not defeated"?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:35 am 
Crudus

KaptainWalrus wrote:
Here is my take:.

You could move Sven near Ur-Kek as described, however Ur-Kek would not be able to use Consume Essence, unless the pit where Sven fell is within 3 inches.

Yeah. That's my interpretation as well.

KaptainWalrus wrote:
I had similar but, different situation occur in a match involving Gaius Pallidus, and ironically, Ur-kek. Gaius was pushed into a pit by Ur-Kek. So Consume Essence would have triggered. However, Gaius Pallidus is Undying, so he was "not" defeated, thus no Consume Essence. But then the question came up: Where do we put Gaius, when he comes back? Does he start where he was defeated? Which would be the pit, and would he would immediately be defeated again (and trigger Consume Essence)? Or does he start say "near" the pit, but not in base contact so he is "not defeated"?

I couldn't figure nd any official rules to support this, but the way I would play it is I'd put Gaius back as close to the point he touched the pit as possible without actually touching the pit (like he had been shifted instead of pushed).

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:46 am 
Crudus

From what I remember, the question about Gaius had been answered in a different thread some time ago. Gaius is in the pit, "undies", then gets defeated again. Basically, pushing Gaius into a pit will defeat him at the and of that turn, no matter what. I think the idea of defeating the model in a pit is that, at the very least, it's so deep they can't climb out.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:52 am 
Crudus

GonzoGarbanzo wrote:
From what I remember, the question about Gaius had been answered in a different thread some time ago. Gaius is in the pit, "undies", then gets defeated again. Basically, pushing Gaius into a pit will defeat him at the and of that turn, no matter what. I think the idea of defeating the model in a pit is that, at the very least, it's so deep they can't climb out.

You are absolutely correct. Found the ruling. It's the third point made by Walker in the post below:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33926&p=39378&hilit=Gaius+Pallidus#p39378

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:20 am 
Crudus

Well that answers that, thanks. It seems pits are extra dangerous to the tree man.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:23 am 
Noxius

Slightly less so due to his generally larger base, but certainly not something he should be rushing towards (as much as he rushes anywhere...)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:29 am 
Viridis

KaptainWalrus wrote:
The rules for lethal hazard state that you are "defeated" upon touching the hazard. Then you mark off the damage boxes, and resolve any effects (i.e. Disengage), prior to removing the model. Since "defeated" is the key word triggering Consume Essence, I would say that unless Ur-kek was within 3 inches of the pit where Sven fell, then Consume Essence doesn't trigger.

Hmm. I see what you mean. I understood it as the victim losing all their vitality, then being defeated. But it does seem to say that you are defeated first, and then you lose your vitality afterwards. So it's the opposite order to the way models are normally defeated.

So the pit ghost still exists, and can float around at will... but so far there doesn't seem to be any rules that can cause the ghost to actually have any in-game effect from being removed from play in a different location than it was defeated. :)

Thanks for the help!

As for the Gaius thing, I guess that the lethal hazard is written in a different way from the other hazards specifically because of him. The other hazards all have the "when you are pushed into it" wording, but the lethal hazard has the "while you are touching it" wording, so that it will kick in again once the attack is over, because he is still touching it even though he negated the first defeat.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:36 am 
Crudus

It's the Pit of the Five-Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:48 am 
Crudus

"You are already dead."

Also, I would argue that Sven (or anyone else with disengage) can't run around outside of the pit. As funny as it is, the pit means people are trapped in it. I don't see Sven ninja running up the wall and around the playing field upon his defeat.