Arena Rex Forums

Arena Rex Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Multiple Actions?
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:50 pm 
Noxius

I'm wondering if we've been overlooking something... referencing pages 28-29, there is indication that an activation of a [Ready] model may involve multiple actions. Furthermore, it may continue to activate as long as it does not exceed the Exhausted state. So, does that mean a model could:

1. Get a free movement [as part of its action before or after attack].
2. Attack, resulting in a Fatigue state.
3. Attack or Move AGAIN, resulting in an Exhausted state.

???

Not concerned with Power Attacks as that seems pretty clear that a model would reach Exhausted state immediately.

We've only been performing a move before a single attack/power attack. Should we be doing more? I realize that'd lead to Exhausted and vulnerable models, but have we been limiting ourselves without realizing it?

TIA for helping clarify.

Post subject: Re: Multiple Actions?
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:16 pm 
Crudus

That's correct. You could do additional moves or attacks until you reach the Exhausted state, so on a standard model you could:

Move (Free), Power Attack (Exhaust)
Move (Free), Attack (Fatigue), Attack (Exhaust)
Move (Free), Move (Fatigue), Attack (Exhaust)
Move (Free), Attack (Fatigue) , Move (Exhaust)
Move (Free), Move (Fatigue) , Move (Exhaust)
Attack (Fatigue), Move (Free), Attack (Exhaust)
Attack (Fatigue), Move (Free), Move (Exhaust)
Power Attack (Exhaust)

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 pm 
Noxius

RidiQles wrote:
That's correct. You could do additional moves or attacks until you reach the Exhausted state, so on a standard model you could:

Move (Free), Power Attack (Exhaust)
Move (Free), Attack (Fatigue), Attack (Exhaust)
Move (Free), Move (Fatigue), Attack (Exhaust)
Move (Free), Attack (Fatigue) , Move (Exhaust)
Move (Free), Move (Fatigue) , Move (Exhaust)
Attack (Fatigue), Move (Free), Attack (Exhaust)
Attack (Fatigue), Move (Free), Move (Exhaust)
Power Attack (Exhaust)

Also:

Attack (Fatigue), Attack (Exhaust)

As long as you're being... well... exhaustive... ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:50 pm 
Crudus

Haha. Dang. Missed one!!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:31 pm 
Crudus

RidiQles and LunarSol pretty much covered it. You can do a whole bunch of stuff with actions, including baiting out your opponent's reactions.

Like, if I want to move out of engagement range of a ready opponent, I can attack them first to hopefully bait out a counterattack. Then, they're fatigued, and I can move away freely. Not a guarantee of course, as it depends on the player and what they choose to do.

I will say though, I typically avoid exhaustion as much as I can, unless I'm close to a clear turn or if the exhaustion is worth it. That's just my personal preference though. I play Zephyri mostly, so the extra damages and successes aren't good for my relatively squishy characters.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:58 am 
Viridis

I agree that you should be careful about exhausting your models. If you do, it will usually take a while before you can activate them again, and while they are exhausted, they are extra vulnerable to attacks.

That said, one time where it makes sense to do so (in my opinion) is if you have the Morituri benefits, and you know you are going to take a clear turn next turn. Since you will go straight from exhausted to ready during the clear turn, might as well go all out. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:31 am 
Noxius

FWIW, in a total math and theory, not the way the game actually works, massive generalization sort of way, Exhausted models generally take about twice the damage they would have if they were Fatigued or Ready. If you're going to Exhaust something, you'd better have a plan to bail them out or be prepared to lose them.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:49 am 
Crudus

I tend to Exhaust my guys more than most people, but I play Morituri and Zephyri mostly and one can remove Exhaustion easily and the other can React while Exhausted... both of which significantly mitigate the negative effects of Exhaustion... but my decision is heavily influenced by other factors like:
- Is my Exhausted attack or Power Attack likely to knock out an opponents model?
- Do I have Ready models nearby to Assist if necessary?
- How heavy a hitter is the opponent most likely to attack me? am I likely to survive that attack?
- Am I near a Hazard?
- What is the DEF (and less importantly ARM) of the modebeing Exhausted?
- Do I have sufficient Favor to load up my DEF (or, if playing Zephyri, to remove Fatigue during a clear turn)?

It is a risky move, to be sure, but I think a Power Attack or a Double Attack can definitely be worth the risk.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:18 am 
Viridis

LunarSol wrote:
FWIW, in a total math and theory, not the way the game actually works, massive generalization sort of way, Exhausted models generally take about twice the damage they would have if they were Fatigued or Ready. If you're going to Exhaust something, you'd better have a plan to bail them out or be prepared to lose them.

Yeah, like Ridiqles says, it's generally best to do if your extra attacking will (hopefully) result in you being safe from retaliation. :)

Having a ready Khepros nearby the exhausted model is nice for example. +2 DEF and ARM will generally make even an exhausted model hard to take out.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:53 pm 
Noxius

Extending from this...

1. Active model performs an Attack thus gaining fatigue.
2. The Ready enemy model performs a Reaction (E.G: Counter-Attack) thus gaining fatigue.
[resolve attack]
3. Active model performs another attack thus becoming Exhausted. Reactive model CANNOT react and just has to rely on DEF & ARM???

Am I understanding this correctly? Essentially the fatigue state of the active model doesn't prevent it from continuing to act until after the action in which it has exhausted itself, but the defensive model still gets restricted to just one reaction?

Not sure if this matters but if this is correct, is it a matter of the defending model is simply restricted to one Reaction, not necessarily due to the having become fatigued state though? A character such as Hagal w/ Berserker should still be limited to just one Reaction, right?